Light flickering interval

TimW

I'm working on a scene, which has a flickering light.

I tried to make the light flickering, but can't find a way to do a proper timing with an interval.
The result I'm looking for is something like the lights on the wing of this drone (starts at 2:43):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBcHNP9AdfM

Created already this (see attachments), based on this tutorial. But can't find a way to add an interval
https://vimeo.com/145741719

Is there a any correct way to make the flickering with an interval?

vibratetag.JPG

vibratetag2.JPG

xpresso.JPG

The vibration method will give random flickers - that drone seems to be a regular cycle of 3 flashes (or is is 2) with a gap. If that's what you want, try this file.

There's a modulo on frame count, that counts up to a value and repeats. Test the modulo out = 0 to trigger a monoflop timer. This outputs a 0-1 linear ramp that can be rangemapped to give 3 light pulses. The monoflop duration controls the length of the 3 flashes. You can change the RM spline to give different shape of light pulse.

If you actually want random flashes, I've got some other methods.

3flashes.c4d

Since the light flash is very short - 1 or 2 frames - maybe actually specifying which frames the light is on would be a better idea. It would be a bit difficult in XPresso, but easy in Python. Here I made a list of the 'on' frames, and test if the frame loop value is on the list

def main():
    global intensity

frame = doc.GetTime().GetFrame(doc.GetFps())

loop = frame % 30

L = [0, 1, 6, 7, 12, 13]

if loop in L:
        intensity = 2
    else:
        intensity = 0

3flashespython.c4d

I know people run a mile from coding, but sometimes it's simpler.