cormaction

Mirror Limbs using the Character tool?

Hi guys,

Forgive me if this has come up before but I can't find an answer after searching around for a bit. I'm new to C4Dd but not to 3D in general so I should probably know better! However, the probably I'm having is, after diving in to playing with the character tool without reading up on it (I like to see how intuitive C4D) I started rigging using the reptile preset. I now know that you need to shift click to add mirrored limbs while you're creating them but I didn't know that at the time. So now I have half a lizard! Is there any way to mirror the limbs I've already set up? I've tried to use the mirror joint tool but I suspect that's just for regular joints. Thanks guys.

Hi

Assuming you havent started repositioning the limbs one side you simply go into the object manager where you see the character components listed.  Select the root (Pelvis), or (spine) object and it shows the components that are available from that stage, you can then add the missing limbs.  Because its a modular system each component will only allow you to add the next component which will be a child of that object. So if you for instance forgot to add a toe, you must first select the leg for the toe component to be visible as a option.

Dan

Thanks for getting back to me Dan much appreciated. Unfortunately I had moved all the joints into position already. I'm used to using Gear for Softimage and Maya where you can just work away on one limb and mirror it at any stage. That would be handy here too! 

cormaction

You can add the limbs on the other side. What you should have done though is create an Xref of your reptile in a new scene so that you have a master file that you can edit and make changes to, doing all the animation in the Xref scene file.

All you need to do is go into the character, click on the object tab in the attributes manager select Animate in the Object Properties and below that you will see Reset Pose. Click on that then go to the build tab and add the missing limbs like Dan said. Then go back to Animate tab. You will also need to bind the new joints to the rig which I am sure you know how to do! IF it doesn't quite work then select all you animation keys and copy them, then hit the reset pose button add the limbs, bind them and then paste the key frames back in. A quickly way to do this is to double click the character object and all the frame should appear in the timeline.

HTH.

P.S. The mirror joints tool doesn't work on character components only for joints you create.

• Like 1

the reset pose command doesn't reset component positioning, only stuff you've done in animation mode. if you already moved all your components into place and want to mirror that you'd have to make the character object editable (by selecting the character object in the object manager and hitting "c") then you can mirror all the joints without confusing the character object. if i were you though i'd just start from scratch building both sides simultaneously, this way you can always go back in build mode and adjust things if necessary. ( you can also adjust things after you made your rig editable, but there won't be an adjust mode or build mode anymore and you'd have to move stuff around manually, and that can be tricky in a rig you haven't built by yourself from scratch) . let's be honest, rebuilding everything only takes a couple of minutes, and probably will prevent you from some headaches ;)

• Like 2

A couple of bits here:

SHIFT is not what you wanna click to mirror upon creation of a component. SHIFT creates a new component but doesn't select it(Which is useful if there are no sub components of the component you create). CTRL is what actually makes a mirrored component as well. It will select both components. You can also do CTRL+SHIFT to create mirrored components but not select them(useful for legs when you don't have toe components.)

In your case, you created and adjusted the left side but still need a right. Don't worry, you don't need to re-adjust. Switch back to build mode, select the left components, choose Character>Character Builder>Copy Component. Then Character>Character Builder>Paste Mirror Component, and you should be all set.

Hope this helps

• Like 3

Ah sweet Bret - didn't know that one useful stuff! Especially since I have a few characters myself that have gone a tinky bit asymmetrical somehow…

And Everfresh - yes I was forgetting that Cormaction had already adjusted the half the rig already. I was going to suggest that you could use nulls to align the other side but Bret had pointed out a sooper dooper way of doing it that I never knew about :-)

• Like 1

thanks for all the input guys! I actually ended up starting from scratch since it's so basic. I was just curious if it was possible for future reference. I'll give your advice a whirl as soon as I get back to that character, sounds good! 
Thanks a mill guys.