Dannyx

Video textures not supported by R19 ?

Dannyx    0

Good day folks. Wanting to benefit from my slightly more potent GPU, having a relatively slow and weak CPU, I upgraded to R19 from R15. While it does run smoother and I love it, there's one rather important issue: none of my "video" textures work anymore when I load the project I was working on...in R15 they work perfectly and I can confirm this because I have them installed side by side on the same PC. Has support been removed for these ? They're the same AVIs and the same project, so what could the issue be ? Doing it with an image sequence seems daunting and space-consuming, so I loved the ability to import video straight in. Am I doing something wrong ? Quicktime is installed, though R15 worked fine with AVIs even before I installed it. I always disliked upgrades removing useful features and this is no exception :(

EDIT: You know what the really crazy thing is: in R15 I was unable to import MP4s...ok, fair enough, I converted them to AVIs which worked. Now in R19, I AM able to load MP4s, but NOT AVIs...how's that for a total troll ? :))

Pejapes    0

in the viewport or in the export itself?

tried to put a mov (h264 codec) and it worked well on r19

did you went to the material > editor and checked animated preview?

Dannyx    0
  • Topic Author
  • On 10/07/2018 at 7:12 PM, Pejapes said:

in the viewport or in the export itself?

Neither, because the AVI files do not load at all - it says invalid file format. I got Klite codecs installed and I'm able to play every format known to man, but C4D doesn't load AVIs. Try loading any AVI file and see if it works for you.

jed    311

edit - just noticed that the OP is on R15, I'm on R19 so this info might not apply, but I'll leave it in.

Bear in mind that file extensions don't specify any codec in particular - mp4, avi etc are known as containers, and the data inside can be encoded using different codecs. It's quite common for avi to be xvid codec.

I just did a test with a commercial avi movie that is encoded as mpeg-4 xvid. I don't have any codec packs - just a regular Windows 10 install - and it loaded OK in C4D. See snip

avi2.png.801e7df68b006a7fae4aa2c5b451272b.png

I never use codec packs - they seem to cause more problems than they solve (possibly due to changing file associations). For difficult to play videos, I use VLC, which has its own internal set of codecs, and can play anything. VLC is Win, Mac, Linux.

Dannyx    0
  • Topic Author
  • I use the player that K-lite comes bundled with for day-to-day media tasks. Codec's probably the issue. Not sure if K-lite affects anything though. I got it mainly because I often need to play unusual formats that windows doesn't support natively.