Sign in to follow this  
sneather

Help with nasty seams...

The attached project is just one small panel, from a much larger client CAD model. Is there any normals trick (plugin or otherwise) which could help me smooth out the pinched seams in the otherwise smooth surface? This is a major issue I face, quite regularly, so I'm looking to find a way to reduce or eliminate the problem.

Thank you.

problem seams.c4d.zip

screen shot.jpg

Looks like the object is actually split into 3 separate pieces. Unfortunately in this case, I don't see a quick and dirty solution. I tried the "optimize" command, but that only gets ya so far. You'd need to go in and manually clean up the geometry to get rid of the seams.

obect.PNG

Thanks for having a go at that. Unfortunately, I really can't fix the surface geometry. The full CAD files are far too complicated, and the majority of those kinds of issues arise, because there are complex neighboring geometry involved. So, if I replace one piece, then I'd be chasing that around the model, replacing each neighboring surface, etc.

That's why I was hoping to find more of a shading solution, more on the back end. That way, I could just target what I need, and leave the rest.

Yeah, I can understand that would take a long time :( I didn't check, but do the seams still show up when you apply materials and in final renders?

Yeah, they show. Particularly, because the rest of that object is comprised mostly of high-polished materials, so it really catches the light (in a bad way).