Sign in to follow this  
gorispieter

Getting that car rim completely round

Hi all,

My name is Pieter and I'm a Cinema4D senior newbie (meaning I've always played around in 3D but never educated myself into the subject enough untill I recently started) haha.

I'm modelling a car rim here. And I keep stumbling upon the same issue over and over.

I'm trying to make the outer loops perfectly rounded after bridging the spoke to the outer rim part.

Problem is that I can't get it to work; even when I use points to circle it warps a lot just on top of the spoke.

Anyone willing to teach me how to fix this in the future in general. I mean is there a solution that works for all rims, even the more complex ones.

Many many thanks in advance.

Much appreciated!

Regards,

Pieter Goris

Wheel-0007.c4d

Rim-problem.PNG

Hello Pieter,

Welcome on C4DCafe,

In your updated file you can see one of solutions. No matter if you work with/without SDS, you need to "imagine" how resulted mesh will be looks at low/high-poly object. If you put into the scene simple disc for instance, you can see how differently looks when object has only few rotation segments and "enough" segments. You need to have it in your mind at the start of working on some model. (ofcourse you can edit object anytime inside of the project, but you save a lot of time when you start with "even" segmentation of polymesh.)

As you can see in my scene update, resulted mesh was adjusted in accordance with "dummy" disc object. Adjusted just left side, then mirrored and optimized. Resulted mesh could look differently like on your reference image (if you use any). In this case is needed more rotation segments to be more exact model...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dup70lo72vxur2i/Wheel_0008.zip?dl=0

Here is also small thread about rim modeling (not sure if scenes are attached, but you can try)

• Topic Author
  • 17 hours ago, bezo said:

Hello Pieter,

Welcome on C4DCafe,

In your updated file you can see one of solutions. No matter if you work with/without SDS, you need to "imagine" how resulted mesh will be looks at low/high-poly object. If you put into the scene simple disc for instance, you can see how differently looks when object has only few rotation segments and "enough" segments. You need to have it in your mind at the start of working on some model. (ofcourse you can edit object anytime inside of the project, but you save a lot of time when you start with "even" segmentation of polymesh.)

As you can see in my scene update, resulted mesh was adjusted in accordance with "dummy" disc object. Adjusted just left side, then mirrored and optimized. Resulted mesh could look differently like on your reference image (if you use any). In this case is needed more rotation segments to be more exact model...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dup70lo72vxur2i/Wheel_0008.zip?dl=0

Hi Bezo,

Many thanks for your quick response and for your help.

So if I interpret your awnser right it's important for me to imagine the subdivisions I'm gonna need in the beginning of the project.

So I don't have to cut up the round outer shape to much.

Do I understand it clearly?

Regards,

Pieter

I fully agree with @bezo regarding how to approach the model from the start.

However, I tried your file and Points to Circle works as long as you are working with a full point loop selection. To do that you have to collapse your cloner (no real need for the Connect object here), connect the collapsed objects together, optimize the points to weld them, then you can select the outer point loop and run PtC script. It will move them inward (I don't know why it rotates them), but you then just scale it out where you want it, and rotate into position (in your case, there are 40 points, divide 360 by 40 to get a 9 degree rotation to get back to square).