bigyarus

Car Keyframing Solutions

Hello everybody! I'm working on an animation project in which I need to animate the cars. I watched a lot of tutorials for car rigs, and stopped at the rig from Jed. He used dynamic objects and motors in it, and he hid the high-poly model into primitives.

This all works fine for me, but I need a more complicated animation where cars could drift on the road. I tried to achieve this on a dynamic rig, but it's quite difficult to control and does not always work out. I thought to give up the dynamic rig and use the key animation where I can better control the behavior of the car.

The question is, I can not understand how I can make the wheels spin, if before the wheels were rotated by motors in a dynamic rig, how can I do it without it? Does anyone have any solutions or thoughts? Maybe it's still possible to make car go sideways with dynamic rig? I'm really stuck here.

Making that sort of rig manually will be really very difficult unless you have incredible Cinema skills and a lot of experience.

For those of us who don't have those skills, or the time to get them, there are plugins, like this one. I 'think' that can do drift right out of the box, but you might wanna check that...

CBR

I'm sure DRIVE! is the proper solution, but if all you need is wheels turning, you can try Roll-It.  Not sure how that works with wheels rather than something like a ball, but you could try!

Natevplas

There is a very good tut on doing the wheels turning, steering and bouncing up and down of cars on Pluralsight and if you know a bit of Xpresso it's not so hard.

Not sure that plugin Roll-It works anymore with the newer versions of C4D?

Personally I try and avoid dynamic solutions on things like this since you loose a bit of control. It's a bit like letting the computer putting in-betweens in on animation they are never where you want them :-)

17 minutes ago, GaryAbrehart said:

Not sure that plugin Roll-It works anymore with the newer versions of C4D?

Actually Roll-It was incompatible until last spring when he updated it.  I've used it with R18.

Yes, I'm sure there are much better solutions than Roll-It!  I was just trying to offer something that would help with the wheels turning, which is what he said he needed.

Thanks for answers! 

I was experimenting today with a dynamic rig, and I was able to get the car to follow the object moving along the spline using motors. Also I managed to get the car to simulate drift by animating the friction parameter of the rear wheels. But yeah, still feels like lack of control.

Today I came across a tutorial on YouTube, it's a rig with a xpresso. 

I'll try to experiment with it.

53 minutes ago, kangddan said:

Hi 

I made a lot of car rigging, you can download him

https://vimeo.com/kangddan

Looks very interesting! Gonna try it too, thanks :)

• Like 1