Sign in to follow this  
vanderleden

Complex Detailing Question

I demo Cinema 4D Prime to make a purchase decision and to replace Blender 3D.

Mostly modelling Sci-Fi stuff (interiors and futuristic stuff).

For one thing that I liked about Blender was Knife-Project where you could import an SVG file and knife-project that complex geometry onto a polygonal surface and had as a result the mesh surface cut like the SVG file (for complex detailing). In other software like MODO it's called Drill or Solid-Drill doing basically the same thing.

Does Cinema 4D has something like that to offer or an alternative way to achieve the same result?

If boolean operations are the only way I might have to give it a try if it's not too messy afterwards, but preferably not booleans if at all possible.

Below is a render for you to see with some "tech circles" on the floor which have been knife-projected in Blender to demonstrate visually what I refer to.

dayward.jpg

Edited by Cerbera
Accurate Titling

I'm confused. Solid Drill in modo IS a boolean operation, and does much the same as our regular boole toole. So when you say 'not booleans', maybe you are asking if there is another way, to which is the answer is no, not currently.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • so, is it possible then?

could you demonstrate it for me?

It is hard to tell what you really want based on a final render. You should provide step by step what you do in blender with screenshots, this way C4d users can help you better.

If I understand you correctly or even how the Blender tool works, R18 (2016) introduced the Line Cut Tool as part of updated toolset. This allows you to project -and cut- a spline onto a poly surface and do extrudes etc. Is that what you mean?

The only place I've seen this demoed was a free Cineversity R18 intro tutorial 'Cut Lines and Splines in polygon models with C4D's Line Cut Tool' - Can be tricky but it works good when you get the hang of it.

I hope it's included in prime!

• Topic Author
  • On 7/16/2018 at 11:45 AM, Pilasters said:

If I understand you correctly or even how the Blender tool works, R18 (2016) introduced the Line Cut Tool as part of updated toolset. This allows you to project -and cut- a spline onto a poly surface and do extrudes etc. Is that what you mean?

The only place I've seen this demoed was a free Cineversity R18 intro tutorial 'Cut Lines and Splines in polygon models with C4D's Line Cut Tool' - Can be tricky but it works good when you get the hang of it.

I hope it's included in prime!

that's the one ::):

nice tutorial how to do that

cheers for that

I'm amazed with Cinema 4D

gonna buy it first next month