vidijour

Render Multiple Materials on one Object

I have two different materials that I want to render out on a single object. One is a PBR/Metallic material, the other is a more abstract, glowy neon material. What I'd like to do is create an animation that transitions between the two materials. My current plan is to render out two image sequences (one with the PBR material, the other with the neon material) then animate the transition in post using After Effects.

Assuming my approach is valid, I was wondering if there's a convenient way to render both materials at the same time. It seems I have to manually change the material in the editor, and then render. I was reading up on Material ID as well as object buffers, but I'm not sure these approaches will work for me, since both materials are on the same object. Curious to hear what your approach would be!

I'm also totally open to the possibility that I'm thinking about this in entirely the wrong way! Happy to read your suggestions : )

Thanks!

1 hour ago, vidijour said:

I'm also totally open to the possibility that I'm thinking about this in entirely the wrong way! Happy to read your suggestions : )

Hello, 

No need to complicate things, just puts both materials on the object, we will call the material that is closer to the left Mat1, and the other Mat2. 

Go into Mat2 material settings and enable alpha channel. Inside the alpha channel insert your animation for the transition (Black and white only).