Hey, you need a renderfarm? If that's the case, make sure you check this topic for more info! 

eikonic    0

Im having an odd issue with a Spline Wrap deformer.   Im trying to make a belt drive with a few bumps in the middle of the belt track.  I initially started with a spline driving the deformer (Spline.1), but was unable to figure out a good way to add the deformation bumps in the center.  So I plugged Spline.1 into a MoSpline, and was able to use a Plain effector with some custom falloff to get the bumps.  Great, thats all fine and good until I start adjusting the offset on the Spline Wrap to make the belt move around the spline.  As you can see, the end starts raising up away from the spline instead of just continuing to loop around.

Im not sure if this is due to how I built it, or some incorrect setting somewhere, but this is very frustrating as I finally thought I had the solution to having the bumps in the middle, and then this new error screwed things up. 

Check the attached file, and it will be clear (yes, these is supposed to be a gap in the belt, its not continuous, as there will be a clip in the middle later).  Any ideas?

Thanks! 

drive belt.c4d

deck    74

just had a quick look and not sure what that problem is, but it flattens out in a different range, i.e. offset in minus area adjusting the to and from, or did you already know that ?

Ive seen quite a few tutorials for conveyer belts and tank tracks so there are probably quite a few ways to do it, have a google maybe, tho you will probably get a better answer from one of the more experienced members, heres your file offset the other way in the meantime just in case that works for you, i will have a further look too.

Deck

drive belt 01.c4d

eikonic    0
  • Topic Author
  • thanks deck.  i did fiddle around with the To and From, in an effort to change any setting that would fix it, but the problem is then that the belt just disappears into nowhere behind the 1 pulley.  so its trading 1 problem for another.

i did quite a bit of looking around for belts and treads.  im probably being too picky about it.  i think i had it working earlier as a cloner and a series of cubes making up the teeth of the belt.  but, that doesnt give you a nice deformation around the pulleys.  also, i dont think i made it as far as the bumps in the middle with that route.  i probably would have ended up with the same problem.

realy, its the bumps in the middle that are making this an issue.  cause ya, a normal radial track would not be an issue.  but the bumps need to move and deform the belt independently of its offset/rotation.    in other words, the belt needs to be able to slide over the bumps no matter where they are.

deck    74

I think Ive found the issue, it appears to be where your spline ones last point is and where it closes, for some reason the mospline shoots off at that angle, if you move that closing point to a flat bit then it all seems to work as you have it set up.

file attached

deck

drive belt 03.c4d

Screen Shot 2018-07-18 at 19.28.16.png

eikonic    0
  • Topic Author
  • thanks for the continued effort deck.  that definitely makes the problem better!  but, it still shoots off into space as the offset is increased.  now, instead of heading upwards, it heads down the belt in the same directions, off down the x axis, and does not wind back around to continue the loop.

i could probably get this to work if i can get the gap in the belt to the center.  the belt DOES NOT need to make a full rotation.  so as long as the gap in the belt can move back and forth from 1 pulley to the other, it doesnt need to pass around them (though the rest of the belt does to make it look correct, obviously).  so ill see if i can get that to work, but still, a solution as to what is going on with the MoSpline would be nice.

deck    74

How bout dropping the mo spline out altogether and using the plain effector directly on first spline, file here, not quite the same shape but you could tweak it maybe

Deck

drive belt 04.c4d

eikonic    0
  • Topic Author
  • oh what the heck?!  i tried that before my initial post and it didnt work!  i tried all the modes, including point as you have it set.  i figured effectors didnt work on normal splines, thats why i started using the MoSpline.  wierd.  but, good to know!  thanks alot deck!  im sure we're both glad it got solved, even if not as originally intended with the MoSpline.  but, any working solution is a good solution.

eikonic    0
  • Topic Author
  • so close!  just 1 more slight issue.  maybe its a problem with my math... im not sure...  im not xpresso whiz.  i linked up the offset of the spline wrap with the position of the plain effector, so theyr both linked as closely as i can get them.  i started at x0, moved to x100, and adjusted the range mapper controlling the offset till it was as lined up to its 0 position as i could.

so it works almost perfectly, but the belt still does some sliding around as the animation plays, or as you move the plain effector back and forth.  im not sure if this is just c4d wonkiness or if there is still an error in the setup somewhere?

attached and updated file...

drive belt 05.c4d

eikonic    0
  • Topic Author
  • no additional help on this from anyone?