Sign in to follow this  
CraigT

How to smooth bad model seams?

• Topic Author
  • Hey guys - thanks again for supporting me through this - I'm determined to find a solution! ;)

I just used the optimize command and it doesn't seem to do anything (unless I'm misunderstanding how to use it). I also tried to weld points and edges and just jacked-up the model and holes began forming. 

I also tried removing the normal tags and adjusting the phong tag on the nose and fuselage components, but that doesn't seem to change anything either. Any other thoughts?

17 minutes ago, CraigT said:

As an aside - In order to minimize compatibility issues in the future, what types of things should I ask a modeling artist about their files before purchasing more models?

Depending on what its for your want it for, your first see the wires of the object, get the basic info such as poly count, see how well laid out the Uvs are.  Ask if the model is made within C4D or if its a port from another application.  Some models say rigged for instance but that dont mean the joints will have good name conventions, dont mean it has a control rig.  Your see from the wires if its triangulated or not, if it is forget about thinking about modifying it, or adding more edge loops.  You dont want to see a overly high polygon count either.

Look out for ngons, poles in bad places such as on curved surfaces or at points of articulation, and poor edge flow in general.  Is it a SDS based model, quite often not unless specified.  Your get away with SDS on organic objects most of the time but not for hard surface objects.  Iv seen people on here that have purchased overlapping meshes, and Uvs, high poly count, badly triangulated geometry.

Dan

23 minutes ago, CraigT said:

Hey guys - thanks again for supporting me through this - I'm determined to find a solution! ;)

I just used the optimize command and it doesn't seem to do anything (unless I'm misunderstanding how to use it). I also tried to weld points and edges and just jacked-up the model and holes began forming. 

I also tried removing the normal tags and adjusting the phong tag on the nose and fuselage components, but that doesn't seem to change anything either. Any other thoughts?

Il make a quick video, hold on.

Dan

Great video,

...one thing I don´t understand where did you found a professional speaker at this late night time ;-)

• Topic Author
  • OMG - a personal video! Thanks Dan for taking the time to show this in action! I have a project for tonight and will try to work through as many of the "problems" as I can. 

One thing I noticed - there are no "normal tags" in the object list - should I delete all of those?

Thanks,
    Craig

6 minutes ago, CraigT said:

OMG - a personal video! Thanks Dan for taking the time to show this in action! I have a project for tonight and try to work through as many of the "problems" as I can. 

One thing I noticed - there are no "normal tags" in the object list - should I delete all of those?

Thanks,
    Craig

No need to delete them unless they are causing issues.  They got deleted before I exported the model as a fbx or obj, ignore that.

Dan

10 hours ago, bezo said:

Great video,

...one thing I don´t understand where you found a professional speaker at this late night time ;-)

I have no idea but he looked very hot sitting there with a room temp of 32 degrees Celsius, I didnt think he was going to make it past 8min into the video.::): (It was the hottest day in the UK for years, even my water cooled PC kept shutting down from over heating.

• Topic Author
  • Dan - you've made my day and I am very appreciative of your effort. Thank you very much from across the pond! Craig :)

• Topic Author
  • Hey guys - 

I had another question, somewhere I'm generating 2 sets of shadows (seen on the back elevator and front air intake scoop). I'm using a physical sky (with raytraced shadows), ambient occlusion + global illumination set. The shadow I want is the Physical sky, but can't seem to find any other settings for the "other shadow". Also, is it possible get the bottom of the plane a bit darker (ie - shaded a bit more)?

I'm trying to set up a good workflow for these realistic, outside renders. 

Thanks again!!!

Fantastic Video and a great topic for a refresher.