ghita

Ease out and ease in in middle animation

Hi all, 

I'm really struggling to understand how F- curves work and I would be so grateful if anybody could help me...

I am working on an animation where my camera is moving at a constant speed, when it approaches the target object it should slow down and stop for about 2 seconds, to then slowly accelerate again (F 2240- F 2300). I tried watching tutorials to get a better understanding of how to ease in and out the movement, but unfortunately I didn't get far...

I'm attaching a simplified scene, if anyone could edit it for me or send me a screenshot on how to do so it would be very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance! 

ease in and out simplified scene.zip

ease in and out.PNG

Hi

I dont have access to C4D at this time but can offer some clarification on some things about the timeline and the F curve.

When you create a key it has a interpolation that sets how it gets from 1 key frame to the next.  By default this is set to spline which eases in and out between two keys.  If you select a key your see the properties show in the right panel which shows its interpolation type.  In order to get a constant speed you need to select two keys in which you wish to be a constant speed and select linear.  To get the animation to stop and stay at that position for 2 seconds you need to copy the last keys and move it forward in time.  Easy way to do this while still in f curve mode is to select the last key hold ctrl and shift to copy and constrain its value and move it to the right.  At the end of this copied key you can start its movement again between the last key and the next in time.  

Remember that the time line works from left to right to control time, and the up and down movment to control the PSR value of that key.  The longer the interpolation takes from its current frame to its peek speed using the black handles the slower it moves to begin with, the same applies when you wish to have it slow down.  Give it more time to slow down and a smoother transition of the  f curve over a longer period of time.  (See Image)

Dan

Dan

key f curv.png

• Topic Author
  • 24 minutes ago, digitvisions said:

Hi, you need to select the key frames at 2240 and 2300  on the time line and change the interpolations to linear.

ease in and out simplified scene-fix.c4d.zip

Thanks a lot for your help but I think I didn't explain myself very well.

What I would like to do is to have the camera gradually slowing down until it stops and then gradually accelerating again... I don't want a sharp stop...

When I tried doing a linear interpolation/ opened your file, the movement seems very sharp...I need the opposite effect.

See my image above this should make it clear.  You have time left to right where it all has to happen within.  If the ease in or ease time is short it will appear to come to a sudden stop as its has less time to slow down.  If you increase the time it starts to slow down and adjust the tangent handles to give it a smooth transition it will do as you wish.  A area in which comes to a stand still is where the last keys are copied to placed forward in time this is where the key values remain the same yet cover a time period.

Dan

Just adjust the z interpolations of the key frames to ease in and ease out like Rectro kindly explaind in this paragraph. 

20 minutes ago, Rectro said:

At the end of this copied key you can start its movement again between the last key and the next in time.  

Remember that the time line works from left to right to control time, and the up and down movment to control the PSR value of that key.  The longer the interpolation takes from its current frame to its peek speed using the black handles the slower it moves to begin with, the same applies when you wish to have it slow down.  Give it more time to slow down and a smoother transition of the  f curve over a longer period of time.

Remember you are only using one side of the arm tangent from the stop time and to the stop time.

• Topic Author
  • 19 minutes ago, Rectro said:

See my image above this should make it clear.  You have time left to right where it all has to happen within.  If the ease in or ease time is short it will appear to come to a sudden stop as its has less time to slow down.  If you increase the time it starts to slow down and adjust the tangent handles to give it a smooth transition it will do as you wish.  A area in which comes to a stand still is where the last keys are copied to placed forward in time this is where the key values remain the same yet cover a time period.

Dan

Thanks a lot for your help! 

Following your advise and looking at your image I managed to get something closer to what I want.... although when it stops the camera movement is still really sharp... while I managed to obtain a smoother transition when the camera accelerates again. 

Here's my setup, is this right or am I still missing some steps? 

Am I right in understanding that to get longer ease in and out times I need to drag the black handles more? 

Thanks again!

5b5b05f7ef602_fcurvesinterpolation..thumb.PNG.3d1ebf5a11aac7693258d7b704ba2d41.PNG

looking at the curve I can see where you have some less than smooth transitions where at times your best to remove a key if you get sudden speed up or slow downs.  Look at it as a roller coaster imagine what the ride would be like, is it smooth, is it fast, where does it speed up, where does it slow down.

Iv got onto my laptop have a look at the file, play it and look at the markers which give you a idea whats going on.

Dan

F CURVE.c4d

• Like 1