Sign in to follow this  
cinevisual

Save viewport layout

Hi guys,

This is my first of many newbie questions to come :)

I have changed the viewport layout to my liking  (eg. perspective view bottom right and set 'use as render view' ) but when I restart all the views return to their default position again, I have also saved as startup layout.

In the mean time I have saved a scene with the viewports the way i like them but just would be nice to have them positioned in this way when I start C4D.

Thanks.

If you go to the windows menu/customisation/save layout as the layout will appear in the layout menu listed with the other ones.  When you do this you should be directed to save in the layouts folder. In windows its C:\Users\user name\AppData\Roaming\MAXON\Cinema 4D R19_BFE04C39\library\layout

You cant simply change the layout and have it save with the scene file. Although any viewport changes or arrangements will save with the file.

Dan

• Topic Author
  • I have the interface customised and saved as startup layout, no problems there. However I wanted to change the viewport layout as mentioned above and have that saved as startup layout as well. C4D only appears to save the interface as the startup layout but viewports always revert back to default positioning. If however I save a file with the viewports in a different position it retains it.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, cinevisual said:

I have the interface customised and saved as startup layout, no problems there. However I wanted to change the viewport layout as mentioned above and have that saved as startup layout as well. C4D only appears to save the interface as the startup layout but viewports always revert back to default positioning. If however I save a file with the viewports in a different position it retains it.

Thanks.

Set your viewports as you like then save the file as "new" in the main Cinema folder. This file will be referenced when C4D is launched and when doing File > New. 

With this method you can also set any default objects you like to always have. For instance, I have cameras, sun & sky, dome lights, as well as some basic materials and personalized render settings that I prefer not to have to set up every time I start a new scene.

• Topic Author
  • 17 hours ago, Vizn said:

Set your viewports as you like then save the file as "new" in the main Cinema folder. This file will be referenced when C4D is launched and when doing File > New. 

With this method you can also set any default objects you like to always have. For instance, I have cameras, sun & sky, dome lights, as well as some basic materials and personalized render settings that I prefer not to have to set up every time I start a new scene.

Thank you, that worked for me.