Hey, you need a renderfarm? If that's the case, make sure you check this topic for more info! 

SteveKabuye

Isn't R20 Just Around The Corner?

Rectro    705
12 minutes ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Honestly....while no one likes to be held hostage to pretty much anything, I have to ask if statements such as "this will be my last update unless the next release  has XZY feature" are realistic.

This question Im sure has many answers and it depends on too many factors, but yes in general I do think its realistic for such a statement as why would anyone keep paying out for little to no gain in the field they are using C4D in.  This does not automatically mean one has to stop using C4D or switch apps.    You pointed out some very reasonable questions if one was to consider dropping software however speaking for myself I wont be dropping C4D as iv invested too much time learning it, and plugins for it, plus in general I just like working in it for both commercial and personal projects.

Being a Studio owner but having most of my interests in character work, and 3D modelling Im not going to benefit from upgrades as much as those who use it for Mograph this means in recent years iv been paying the highest MSA costs with very little gain when its clear C4D is needing some attention in areas that are either missing, outdated, or are not on par with apps in the similar price bracket.. dare I say even the Free Blender which is rapidly growing.  I think R20 for me is the make or break time for me regarding keeping up with MSA costs as this will tell me in part where my investment is going for the up coming years.  This dont mean Id move on as I know there is nothing that I can move onto, Maya is out of the question so C4D is about the best Im going to get.  Like I said in the beginning of my response there are too many factors for each individual and one such factor is the fact that Iv already invested in a perpetual licence, Iv invested in Vray, and I have other apps that are dedicated to certain tasks so in my case its perfectly realistic to not invest more money into software that is not making any real difference to my usage, I hope R20 will change that.

Dan

3DKiwi    394
5 hours ago, Rectro said:

What would it take for you to return?

A lot. Modo has some pretty cool modelling systems that I can't see Cinema 4D having any time soon. By that I mean Meshfusion and procedural modelling. That said there are things I miss like spline modelling in C4D. Modo does splines (called curves) but it's rather basic. I think a more likely scenario is I run both. I've just shelled out US $399 for another year's maintenance for Modo so not about to ditch it any time soon. I would just buy the base version of C4D if I was to get back into C4D.

I think at a minimum R20 should have a completely new UV editing system. This would include udim support, support for edges and be a lot easier to use than it is now. Anyone that's used Modo for UV mapping knows it's light years ahead of C4D. That plus the new super fast core which I assume will be multi-threaded. XPresso would then also be multi threaded. Highly likely is a nodal material system being part of an updated XPresso.  Then there will be a number of enhancements across the app e.g. Mograph, rendering, modelling, remembering that there's a new modelling core that we saw in R19. 

We'll know in a couple of weeks :)

Visionnext    83
13 hours ago, 3DKiwi said:

A lot. Modo has some pretty cool modelling systems that I can't see Cinema 4D having any time soon. By that I mean Meshfusion and procedural modelling. That said there are things I miss like spline modelling in C4D. Modo does splines (called curves) but it's rather basic. I think a more likely scenario is I run both. I've just shelled out US $399 for another year's maintenance for Modo so not about to ditch it any time soon. I would just buy the base version of C4D if I was to get back into C4D.

I think at a minimum R20 should have a completely new UV editing system. This would include udim support, support for edges and be a lot easier to use than it is now. Anyone that's used Modo for UV mapping knows it's light years ahead of C4D. That plus the new super fast core which I assume will be multi-threaded. XPresso would then also be multi threaded. Highly likely is a nodal material system being part of an updated XPresso.  Then there will be a number of enhancements across the app e.g. Mograph, rendering, modelling, remembering that there's a new modelling core that we saw in R19. 

We'll know in a couple of weeks :)

UV, multithreaded Xpresso and a nodal material system would be on my wishlist too.

I already payed my maintenance fee, so I can test what R20 will provide in fall.

HSrdelic    2,778

Interestingly there seems to be general consensus among many people that R20 is the release where they stay or jump ship. I am sure nobody will want to leave C4D land after seeing R20 and what it brings. Looking forward to answering questions here once it's out since there will be many. I also feel that general concerns and questions about which direction C4D is heading too will be answered with R20 and that we will have less of these Release XY speculation threads, which may become redundant :)

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Awesome 1

Rectro    705
2 hours ago, HSrdelic said:

Interestingly there seems to be general consensus among many people that R20 is the release where they stay or jump ship.

I think anyone that is thinking of jumping ship based on R20 must be close to moving on anyway as nobody has to do such a thing if C4D its being put to good use prior to R20.  C4D is doing enough for me at the moment that there is nothing else to jump ship to.  If I dont like where my investment is going I can just stay with what I got, its a fantastic piece of software even despite its weaker areas.  By the sounds of it from what Im picking up its going to be a pretty decent release.

Dan

bobc4d    124

as a Prime user, other than core and maybe hopefully a UV rewrite, my expectations are low for R20 only because I probably won't see most of updates.  I do hope it is THE one as that will be good for MAXON.

• Like 1

3D-Pangel    278
On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 8:42 PM, Rectro said:

This does not automatically mean one has to stop using C4D or switch apps.   

Dan

Another way I look at is that the time you have with an unsupported app (that is, no longer being upgraded), is as limited as your OS.    So roughly about 7 years given Microsofts current support structure.  Ultimately, your going to upgrade to a new PC with a new OS and graphics cards that no longer work with your old version of C4D.

Nothing lasts forever so the though that you will always be able to use C4D even though you have moved to a new application is not entirely true.  But by that time (7 years with the new app), you probably don't care.  Nevertheless, no matter where you end up, you will eventually be walking away from everything you have invested in that program.

Dave

Rectro    705
2 minutes ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Another way I look at is that the time you have with an unsupported app (that is, no longer being upgraded), is as limited as your OS.    So roughly about 7 years given Microsofts current support structure.  Ultimately, your going to upgrade to a new PC with a new OS and graphics cards that no longer work with your old version of C4D.

Nothing lasts forever so the though that you will always be able to use C4D even though you have moved to a new application is not entirely true.  But by that time (7 years with the new app), you probably don't care.  Nevertheless, no matter where you end up, you will eventually be walking away from everything you have invested in that program.

Dave

Unfortunately for me its much more complicated, my future is uncertain, Iv been very ill this year.  If and its a big if I stopped at R20 I still have 3 years to get back in, allot can happen in that time.  I do know someone who still uses r10 flawlessly, not sure how but he uses it most days.  I dont intend to move to a new application, I wouldn't stop upgrading because Im looking to move on, but because its direction may be going into areas where I just cant justify the yearly cost to get too little back.  My confidence is starting to grow a little more the last couple of days for R20 so we will see what happens.

Dan

• Like 1

Marander    5

Very interesting thread, these tiny hints of the beta testers make me very excited for R20.

What I'd love to see are

- some modeling improvements based on the new modeling core like symmetry

- Boolean re-write, less geometry errors with multiple booleans, so that plugins like MeshBoolean can work even better,

- Retopo

- better large scene / multiple object handling

- viewport enhancements with OpenGL volumetrics

- XPresso improvements (maybe involving nodal materials)

No matter what, I know I'll love R20 because already today C4D is such a great and robust application.

Marander    5
6 minutes ago, Rectro said:

Unfortunately for me its much more complicated, my future is uncertain, Iv been very ill this year.

Very sorry to hear that Dan, I wish you all the best and good recovery!

Marander    5
46 minutes ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Nothing lasts forever so the though that you will always be able to use C4D even though you have moved to a new application is not entirely true.

The good thing is C4D's perpetual, offline license compared to other applications

Only LightWave and Cinema are left with complete offline, perpetual licensing systems. These are therefore the 3D applications of my choice. All other 3d applications are node locked, rental only or require online activation as far as I know.

Even modo uses online activation now. I considered modo at some point but with the new online activation system I lost all remaining interest.

Yes, I agree to a certain amount (incompatible app due to future OS changes) but the current Win64 / MacOS architecture will not just vanish all of a sudden, important applications will most likely still run on future MS operating systems and then there are other options like VMs (with some limitations).

Cinebench based on R15 is still one of the most used benchmarks for new hardware and I guess very old Cinema versions still run on Win10.

3D-Pangel    278
33 minutes ago, Marander said:

Very sorry to hear that Dan, I wish you all the best and good recovery!

Same here Dan.  I also wish you a full and speedy recovery. 

Dave