Hey, you need a renderfarm? If that's the case, make sure you check this topic for more info! 

SteveKabuye

Isn't R20 Just Around The Corner?

Visionnext    83
4 hours ago, Rectro said:

Unfortunately for me its much more complicated, my future is uncertain, Iv been very ill this year.

I'm very sad to hear this. You are one of the most important members of this community and I learned a lot from your videos.
I can only wish you all the best and a speedy recovery. We need you!

BoganTW    15

I also hope you get better Dan, and hope your health improves soon.

hvanderwegen    55
5 hours ago, Marander said:

The good thing is C4D's perpetual, offline license compared to other applications

Only LightWave and Cinema are left with complete offline, perpetual licensing systems. These are therefore the 3D applications of my choice. All other 3d applications are node locked, rental only or require online activation as far as I know.

And Blender, of course. A superb off-line perpetual license with full access to the latest betas (with full access to the original source code) and a one-in-all version (no silly "premium" or "entry-level" versions with various pricing to deal with).

The one-time entry fee is quite acceptable as well. :lol:

No serial number or activation necessary. And no dongles either. Best license scheme ever!

...sorry, couldn't resist.

5 hours ago, Rectro said:

Unfortunately for me its much more complicated, my future is uncertain, Iv been very ill this year.

Dan

Very sorry to hear - wishing for a best health and a speedy recovery for you.

zeden    27

From different hints on forums you can be pretty sure that Prorender will get a big update and most likely Bodypaint will see a lot new things. Maybe node materials will com with PR and new uvw tools with BP.

I personally hope they implement a new dynamics suite with new cloth, particles, fluids and liquids. Maybe all together with a new mograph. Mocap would be great but I do not belive in it.

Maybe a free noncommercial licence model will be offered.

Freemorpheme    12
22 hours ago, HSrdelic said:

we will have less of these Release XY speculation threads, which may become redundant :)

Surely a hint to a subscription model! I will definitely get the popcorn on the go. 

bobc4d    124
On 7/30/2018 at 8:14 PM, Rectro said:

Unfortunately for me its much more complicated, my future is uncertain, Iv been very ill this year.  If and its a big if I stopped at R20 I still have 3 years to get back in, allot can happen in that time.  I do know someone who still uses r10 flawlessly, not sure how but he uses it most days.  I dont intend to move to a new application, I wouldn't stop upgrading because Im looking to move on, but because its direction may be going into areas where I just cant justify the yearly cost to get too little back.  My confidence is starting to grow a little more the last couple of days for R20 so we will see what happens.

Dan

I wish you a return to complete health as I can totally relate to an uncertain future Dan. we will be around for a long time.

Zmotive    66
On 7/30/2018 at 9:18 AM, HSrdelic said:

Interestingly there seems to be general consensus among many people that R20 is the release where they stay or jump ship. I am sure nobody will want to leave C4D land after seeing R20 and what it brings. Looking forward to answering questions here once it's out since there will be many. I also feel that general concerns and questions about which direction C4D is heading too will be answered with R20 and that we will have less of these Release XY speculation threads, which may become redundant :)

That's all very encouraging (to see you have that level of confidence in the release). I'm sure I'll be throwing a few questions your way. ::):

For my part it's always been a two-part equation: 1) when is Apple going to provide some pro hardware that doesn't suck for this kind of work; 2) does C4D itself see improvements that help Apple's hardware of the day perform on par with PCs? Also less a "I am absolutely leaving if I don't get ____; I'll go use ____ instead," and more like a "I see no reason to upgrade here in terms of innovation and efficiency so I'll just keep using what I have." Been known to skip a release here and there. :angry: lol 

That said I have been spending some time with Houdini and Blender this year. My opinion remains the same: I like their capabilities and rapid-fire progress and hope for same with C4D's weak edges, but I really dislike their UI in some respects (for different reasons). So I'm rooting for R20 to make me "not care" about those other products.

I'm also taking a more holistic view this year. Knowing that there are 4 or 5 big "staple" feature improvements that are needed, [even if it's more geared towards other workflows than my own overall,] I'd still take that as a good sign. I still support MAXON with my hard-earned money in that case. That means the base stays stable, MAXON continues to be successful and grow. [As tempted as I am to believe it based on posts like yours, I know it's unlikely all of the big ticket items end up in one release; the main thing is to see big progress in the directions people have been asking for even if not my personal favorites in all cases. If it IS that big of a release, I'm going to take at least 1 vacation day to check out the new release in September when it arrives. Maybe 2. heheh]

Main thing for me is the ole object manager / viewport dynamic that often prevents working rapid iteration with high object counts or particle counts, and then from there a variety of other things I won't re-hash. I also agree it would be fantastic if if there's more information there about a clear path ahead, meaning less speculation threads [in 2019 and beyond and less] worrying about stuff there's no point in worrying about. Would rather be talking to people about how to use some amazing new feature or optimizing workflow with a greatly imroved feature.

Less than a week out! Excited to see what's next.

Zmotive    66

And worthy of a separate comment to keep things in proper perspective: keep fighting Dan and get better.

I'm sure it's tough and you get tired of hearing stuff like that, but obviously a lot of people here behind you. Hang in there. Hopefully R20 will give you some stuff to distract from health concerns for a bit and put the proverbial spring in your step.

• Like 1