Hrvoje

CINEMA 4D R20 OVERVIEW

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, everfresh said:

and yet r20 hasn't a single feature dedicated to CA.

That is not entirely true.  Joints, muscle and cluster can use fields now. For example, that means you can create weights with fields.

• Like 2

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe

5 minutes ago, HSrdelic said:

That is not entirely true.  Joints, muscle and cluster can use fields now. For example, that means you can create weights with fields.

not entirely sure of the scenario this might come in handy yet, but i'm sure i'll find a useful application for this. ;) thanks for the info.

can you tell if there will be a fix for PSDs (they don't work in animation as of now without baking everything)?

• Topic Author
  • Here is a taste of what can be done with Fields + VDB. Obviously not replacement for fluids but you can fake stuff now :)

Lavalamp.mp4

2 hours ago, everfresh said:

and yet r20 hasn't a single feature dedicated to CA. 

A least if, once completed, the new core could allow CA to be as fast as Maya, it is worth to wait a bit more but MAXON doesn't give any details or timeframe.

2 hours ago, everfresh said:

completely agree. 

tbh, i have a hard time understanding the reasons behind a lot of maxons decisions. 

for instance i don't understand why character animation isn't given a much higher priority. c4d could easily attract a lot of maya users who are obviously sick of autodesk as a company. in the past two years i talked to a bunch of freelancers and small studio owners who are using maya and they were highly interested in c4d. those people won't hop on the c4d wagon because it has prorender now. and yet r20 hasn't a single feature dedicated to CA. 

I do a lot of character stuff with Cinema also, my friends always ask 'why aren't you using Maya'? I share your enthusiasm to make Cinema 4D more attractive to character animators. I guess the decision for R20 features come from the recent competition from Houdini, I'm sure you know C4D is losing a lot of users to this app and so they've put efforts in to retaining them. Maybe MAXON don't realise that there are many character artists who are using their app...? We can only hope for improvements in a future release.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, SKaiser said:

I do a lot of character stuff with Cinema also, my friends always ask 'why aren't you using Maya'? I share your enthusiasm to make Cinema 4D more attractive to character animators. I guess the decision for R20 features come from the recent competition from Houdini, I'm sure you know C4D is losing a lot of users to this app and so they've put efforts in to retaining them. Maybe MAXON don't realise that there are many character artists who are using their app...? We can only hope for improvements in a future release.

yeah, you're probably spot on about the houdini thing. i hope they can see that there's a LOT of potential with c4D regarding character animation. the tools we already have aren't that bad, just a little love to that area and c4D could be a good alternative for many people.

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • 34 minutes ago, everfresh said:

can you tell if there will be a fix for PSDs (they don't work in animation as of now without baking everything)?

That issue is resolved in R20

• Like 6

The full product [edition] comparison is now online. The "simplified version" was a bit too simple so let me clarify especially that Volumes and ProRender are in all editions except Prime.

Also there were some further questions about ProRender. Nodal materials are only supported through baking (like many of C4D's shaders). In practice, baking eliminates almost all of the benefit from nodal materials so for all intents and purposes nodes and ProRender aren't currently compatible. It's not a marketing decision, but a development hurdle that needs a bit more time.

And someone said their CA/studio friends wouldn't use C4D because we include ProRender? That seems like a strange decision, given that it's an additional option which didn't remove our existing render solutions, and given that C4D enjoys some of the best integration with Octane, Redshift and other third-party engines.

I have been watching a few of the fields videos.  After one example, there was a post that said that they would work with OpenVDB meshes.  If true, then would they also work with standard meshes (that is, take action on the individual polygons in that mesh)?  Will they work with primitives such that you now have a completely non-destructive workflow?   Just wondering if fields will give you more control and options than with the current set of deformation brushes in C4D.

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

• Topic Author
  • @3D-Pangel

Fields can be used in deformers and all point based tags (along with anywhere else where is falloff). So, yes, if you create point/edge/poly selection you can influence just that with all fields since the field interface is present in the tag itself so you can influence individual selections too.

When used with deformers you can use all fields and have even parametric deformation without keyframes since there is time field.

16 hours ago, HSrdelic said:

I will have to ask around since I am not sure, but afaik, API exists but I am not sure if it will be available to plugin devs immediately...

It seems so and this is really a shame. Nodes cannot be used with Vray for C4D and I really hoped for that. Octane has their own node based material system. I'd love to finally see a proper integration with open APIs for plugin developers.

• Like 2