Sign in to follow this  
Hrvoje

CINEMA 4D R20 OVERVIEW

37 minutes ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Did you mean that MAXON waivered the cost increase to MSA's for this year (and only to MAXON USA customers) or did I seriously miss something?

There is a deal on for those who are at least 1 version behind that offers R20 for free if them bring their current version up to date.   Good deal.

1 minute ago, HSrdelic said:

You can control lights with fields. For chaser lights you would simply clone the light, apply an effector and a field with desired effect and color.Additionally, you can use Xpresso field node to pass any data to any parameter :)

Cool.  I would imagine the good folks at GSG are busily looking at their Signal plugin right now!

12 minutes ago, Rectro said:

There is a deal on for those who are at least 1 version behind that offers R20 for free if them bring their current version up to date.   Good deal.

So the annual deal offered prior to a release that if you upgrade from R18 to R19 you get R20 now includes 1 year of MSA?  That is a good deal.  If there was a guarantee that was offered every year, I would seriously think about skipping MSA's every other year.

Dave. 

• Topic Author
  • Here is a quickie dirty chaser lights with fields :)

Fields_lights.mp4

One of the best things is Xpresso field node as shown in following screencapture. You can access all values of resulting field setup you have and drive any other parameter. Again, I am sure once people get fields into their hands that we will see some great stuff. In my mind they represent MoGraph 2.0 and more

Fields_lights_xp.mp4

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe

43 minutes ago, Unstable said:

So does this mean if I purchased the R19 upgrade back in May, I've lost out on the savings?

Yes, sorry. The promotion is just during the month of August. Though if you purchased in May it was likely during the flash sale promotion at a 30% discount. And you've gotten to use R19 for the past 3 months.

31 minutes ago, bobc4d said:

Rick, why do you have Prime as an option for product?  I looked at the comparison chart and the only difference I could see between Prime and BodyPaint is that Bodypaint INCLUDES SCULTPTING (which is also missing in Broadcast and Visualize).  they both cost the same, have same cost for upgrades and MSA.

Well, first - it's not my decision. If it were up to me I'd trim the portfolio to just 1 or 2 editions. I can say that pricing varies regionally and in some places BodyPaint 3D is a tad more expensive than Prime.

On 8/1/2018 at 5:40 AM, HSrdelic said:

There is a lot of nodes and possibilities are endless. Check out the node pool :)

Looking at those I can't find a couple really useful ones, so had a few questions about users' capabilities w.r.t. nodal materials:

1.  Can users cast our own rays via nodes as needed, both for locality and boundary-checking as well as render-related pathing?

2.  Can users replicate complex material nodes using node networks (handling complex sampling scenarios, etc.)? 

3.  Could a user build an Rounded Edge shader themselves using nodes?

4.  Can users create node networks that generate "internal scattering" SSS-type effects / volumetric sampling?

Thanks!  And my apologies if some of these were already asked, still wading through all the replies in the thread.

3 hours ago, RBarrett said:

Well, first - it's not my decision. If it were up to me I'd trim the portfolio to just 1 or 2 editions. I can say that pricing varies regionally and in some places BodyPaint 3D is a tad more expensive than Prime.

Agreed, that's what I am thinking as well. Get rid of Prime, put BodyPaint in all editions (including sculpting), combine Visualize and Broadcast into one edition for $1999, and keep Studio. At this point I think all those editions are hurting sales and confusing customers, similar to the modules situation years ago. Simplify, simplify. 

Good to hear that ProRender is available in the Broadcast and Visualize as well. 

Very odd that nodal materials aren't available for ProRender (yet). I thought ProRender is supposed to be the new render engine, and now it seems that the old renderer was given nodal materials first? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me, because it feels as if ProRender is sort-of second guessed by management. ProRender is the new kid on the block, so I'd have expected it to have nodal materials; instead, the OLD renderer got nodal materials, not the other way around?

Which could mean more users will stick to using the older render engine for years to come. Not sure, but the development roadmap sometimes makes little sense to me.

4 minutes ago, hvanderwegen said:

Very odd that nodal materials aren't available for ProRender (yet).

As I said earlier, there were technical reasons for supporting Physical first. This was the best way to get the node editor in your hands as part of R20, so you could start using it and providing us feedback.

35 minutes ago, jwiede said:

Looking at those I can't find a couple really useful ones, so had a few questions about users' capabilities w.r.t. nodal materials:

1.  Can users cast our own rays via nodes as needed, both for locality and boundary-checking as well as render-related pathing?

2.  Can users replicate complex material nodes using node networks (handling complex sampling scenarios, etc.)? 

3.  Could a user build an Rounded Edge shader themselves using nodes?

4.  Can users create node networks that generate "internal scattering" SSS-type effects / volumetric sampling?

I might not be the best to answer, because I'm still getting up to speed myself with a lot of the intricacies of nodal shading. But I'll take a stab anyway.

1. There's a Trace Ray node with inputs for origin, direction, max distance and options to ignore the same or other objects. So I think the answer is yes.

2. Not sure what you mean by this, but I've talked earlier about the asset system, which allows complex node networks to be packaged as materials which can be edited within the material editor. The Uber Material is the ultimate example, but there's also included assets for car paint, rocks, marble, wood, etc.

3. Yes, by mixing the inverse ambient occlusion with the phong normal.

4. Of a sort, using the trace ray node with a modified phong normal providing the origin and direction.

Full disclosure - I'm providing the last two answers on the basis of example files I've been given, rather than an actual understanding (at this point) of how it works. I hope to provide some tutorials based on these samples once I've fully wrapped my head around them.

5 minutes ago, RBarrett said:

As I said earlier, there were technical reasons for supporting Physical first. This was the best way to get the node editor in your hands as part of R20, so you could start using it and providing us feedback.

I understand that. It's easier to deal with C4D tightly integrated classic renderer and code base first. More convenient, easier. Less scary. I understand all that. Better be conservative in your thinking rather than risking scaring existing classic C4D renderer users away.

It's also plain silly and back-ward thinking. It means that ProRender's development and integration is to be regarded as a beta version even in R20. ProRender users are treated as second-class citizens now in R20, just as they were in R19. That is somewhat understandable in R19, and somewhat unacceptable within the scope of this new release, because a PBR based render engine such as ProRender just SCREAMS for a node-based material system!

Can't wrap my head around that. I'd have expected the devs to push the modern render technology first, and get up to speed with the competition. Compare Lightwave and Blender: both made a clean break with their older renderers (with LIghtwave throwing away the old one altogether which was, granted, perhaps a step too far), and their users switched quite quickly, even with Cycles not being quite production ready in the first year, and Lightwave's new render engine still rough around the edges.

But Cinema4D's approach is kinda like it wants to hold on to the past, and is reluctant to embrace the future. C4D finally, FINALLY introduces nodal materials, yet they don't work with the MODERN render engine that was implemented in the previous version! I just don't understand that line of thinking. It's like holding candy in front of your users, and then snatch it away.

In the meantime C4D is left with an aging renderer that just can't produce the same level of quality renders as ProRender and other modern renderers yet STILL gets the candy first, and not having material nodes for ProRender is stifling users from properly transitioning to ProRender. Which only solidifies the general feeling that an external render option is going to be preferable even over ProRender in C4D.

So weird. Perhaps I am beginning to understand why Newtek decided to rip out the old render engine: in with the new, out with the old. Look forward, don't look back. Sorry for my rant, but I was really looking forward to see ProRender's potential fulfilled in R20, but look at it now. No node-based materials? Instead, the old render engine got them? How does that make sense?

So I suppose ProRender users will have to wait another 14 months for material nodes to be made available to them.

Sorry for my rant. I think this is a nice release otherwise.

5 hours ago, bobc4d said:

Rick, why do you have Prime as an option for product?  I looked at the comparison chart and the only difference I could see between Prime and BodyPaint is that Bodypaint INCLUDES SCULTPTING (which is also missing in Broadcast and Visualize).  they both cost the same, have same cost for upgrades and MSA.

There's another significant difference. You get a discount by moving up the ladder if you start with Prime. So, for instance, if you own Prime and want to upgrade to Broadcast, your price is less than if you were buying Broadcast outright.

BodyPaint isn't in the lineup, it's a stand alone application. If you own BodyPaint and want to upgrade to Broadcast the price is the same as buying Broadcast as a new user.