Sign in to follow this  
Hrvoje

CINEMA 4D R20 OVERVIEW

• Topic Author
  • @3D-Pangel

Fields can be used in deformers and all point based tags (along with anywhere else where is falloff). So, yes, if you create point/edge/poly selection you can influence just that with all fields since the field interface is present in the tag itself so you can influence individual selections too.

When used with deformers you can use all fields and have even parametric deformation without keyframes since there is time field.

16 hours ago, HSrdelic said:

I will have to ask around since I am not sure, but afaik, API exists but I am not sure if it will be available to plugin devs immediately...

It seems so and this is really a shame. Nodes cannot be used with Vray for C4D and I really hoped for that. Octane has their own node based material system. I'd love to finally see a proper integration with open APIs for plugin developers.

5 minutes ago, HSrdelic said:

@3D-Pangel

Fields can be used in deformers and all point based tags (along with anywhere else where is falloff). So, yes, if you create point/edge/poly selection you can influence just that with all fields since the field interface is present in the tag itself so you can influence individual selections too.

When used with deformers you can use all fields and have even parametric deformation without keyframes since there is time field.

Thank you....if it is selection tag based, then I would imagine that it won't work with primitives.  No biggee, just wondering.

I would love to see a video on how fields can be used in a polygonal modeling workflow.....not that you probably don't already have a "few" requests for tutorials.  But this could help change the perception that "modeling" improvements were not fully addressed in this release.

Dave

13 hours ago, HSrdelic said:

Your wish is granted - I am actually wrapping up fields training as we type :)

Fields are awesome :Bang:

You always need a good teacher to be able to work with new features. Vertex Pusher is da man!

57 minutes ago, RBarrett said:

Nodal materials are only supported through baking (like many of C4D's shaders). In practice, baking eliminates almost all of the benefit from nodal materials so for all intents and purposes nodes and ProRender aren't currently compatible. It's not a marketing decision, but a development hurdle that needs a bit more time

I really hoped to get a nodal system that I can use in Vray. We've waited so long for R20 and this was on top of my wishlist, like Bodypaint and character improvements. R20 is nevertheless a good version though, although it concentrates too much on motion graphics from my point of view.

• Topic Author
  • Here is a quick screencapture of fields in modelling context

1. Here formula field is changing polygons in polygon selection parametrically

Field_based_selection.mp4

2. Here time field is influencing bend parameter - no keyframes

Time_field_bend.mp4

3. Displacer with spline field

Displacer_spline_field.mp4

Hope this gives some ideas about fields and modelling :)

• Topic Author
  • 10 minutes ago, Visionnext said:

I really hoped to get a nodal system that I can use in Vray

Nodes api will certainly be available for plugin developers. They get early access to it in beta. I don't know when but certainly when it is ready and I doubt this will take long time

3 hours ago, HSrdelic said:

That issue is resolved in R20

Is that fix exclusive to R20 or will it be in a R19 service update?

3 hours ago, SKaiser said:

Maybe MAXON don't realise that there are many character artists who are using their app...? We can only hope for improvements in a future release.

That hope comes at a cost of £625 every year.  3 strikes your out the upgrade path, miss a year your pay for it still the following year at the higher rate.  Its a Heads I win, Tails you loose scenario there is only one same  winner no matter how you throw the dice.

To  Maxons credit they have wavered the MSA cost for upgrades this year, so Il follow the incentive they have set.

Dan

20 minutes ago, Rectro said:

To  Maxons credit they have wavered the MSA cost for upgrades this year, so Il follow the incentive they have set.

Dan

Did you mean that MAXON waivered the cost increase to MSA's for this year (and only to MAXON USA customers) or did I seriously miss something?

1 minute ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Did you mean that MAXON waivered the cost increase to MSA's for this year (and only to MAXON USA customers) or did I seriously miss something?

I'm not sure what he means exactly. My best guess is that he's referring to the current promotion where any upgrade includes the MSA as well. That works really well for upgraders, because you get the RX to R19 price (rather than the higher RX to R20 price) and you get R20 free. So for instance if you're currently on R18 you'd pay $995 to R19 now and R20 when it ships. After Sept 1st you'd be looking at the two version upgrade price from R18 to R20 (similar to the current pricing from R17 to R19). US pricing, but worldwide policy. Hope that makes sense.