Sign in to follow this  
Hrvoje

CINEMA 4D R20 OVERVIEW

6 minutes ago, RBarrett said:

I'm not sure what he means exactly. My best guess is that he's referring to the current promotion where any upgrade includes the MSA as well. That works really well for upgraders, because you get the RX to R19 price (rather than the higher RX to R20 price) and you get R20 free. So for instance if you're currently on R18 you'd pay $995 to R19 now and R20 when it ships. After Sept 1st you'd be looking at the two version upgrade price from R18 to R20 (similar to the current pricing from R17 to R19). US pricing, but worldwide policy. Hope that makes sense.

So does this mean if I purchased the R19 upgrade back in May, I've lost out on the savings?

1 hour ago, HSrdelic said:

Here is a quick screencapture of fields in modelling context

1. Here formula field is changing polygons in polygon selection parametrically

Field_based_selection.mp4

2. Here time field is influencing bend parameter - no keyframes

Time_field_bend.mp4

3. Displacer with spline field

Displacer_spline_field.mp4

Hope this gives some ideas about fields and modelling :)

Okay....I am beginning to see the light.  Spline based modifications has many interesting applications and possibilities.   Not sure how much better control time field modifications provides for simple field applications than keyframing, but  I would imagine that for complex field set-ups, they provide a huge value.  Can you drive them with a midi soundtrack as well?   That capability might drive 3D-Kiwi back into C4D. ; -)

Can time fields also apply to the settings in lights as well?  For example could they control intensity such that you can now create animated chaser lights without the need for Xpresso or tedious key-framing.  A bit of a stretch as I would imagine it was designed around polygonal objects, but it would be pretty cool if that was possible .

Dave

Rick, why do you have Prime as an option for product?  I looked at the comparison chart and the only difference I could see between Prime and BodyPaint is that Bodypaint INCLUDES SCULTPTING (which is also missing in Broadcast and Visualize).  they both cost the same, have same cost for upgrades and MSA.

• Topic Author
  • 13 minutes ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Can time fields also apply to the settings in lights as well?  For example could they control intensity such that you can now create animated chaser lights without the need for Xpresso or tedious key-framing.  A bit of a stretch as I would imagine it was designed around polygonal objects, but it would be pretty cool if that was possible .

You can control lights with fields. For chaser lights you would simply clone the light, apply an effector and a field with desired effect and color.Additionally, you can use Xpresso field node to pass any data to any parameter :)

37 minutes ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Did you mean that MAXON waivered the cost increase to MSA's for this year (and only to MAXON USA customers) or did I seriously miss something?

There is a deal on for those who are at least 1 version behind that offers R20 for free if them bring their current version up to date.   Good deal.

1 minute ago, HSrdelic said:

You can control lights with fields. For chaser lights you would simply clone the light, apply an effector and a field with desired effect and color.Additionally, you can use Xpresso field node to pass any data to any parameter :)

Cool.  I would imagine the good folks at GSG are busily looking at their Signal plugin right now!

12 minutes ago, Rectro said:

There is a deal on for those who are at least 1 version behind that offers R20 for free if them bring their current version up to date.   Good deal.

So the annual deal offered prior to a release that if you upgrade from R18 to R19 you get R20 now includes 1 year of MSA?  That is a good deal.  If there was a guarantee that was offered every year, I would seriously think about skipping MSA's every other year.

Dave. 

• Topic Author
  • Here is a quickie dirty chaser lights with fields :)

Fields_lights.mp4

One of the best things is Xpresso field node as shown in following screencapture. You can access all values of resulting field setup you have and drive any other parameter. Again, I am sure once people get fields into their hands that we will see some great stuff. In my mind they represent MoGraph 2.0 and more

Fields_lights_xp.mp4

43 minutes ago, Unstable said:

So does this mean if I purchased the R19 upgrade back in May, I've lost out on the savings?

Yes, sorry. The promotion is just during the month of August. Though if you purchased in May it was likely during the flash sale promotion at a 30% discount. And you've gotten to use R19 for the past 3 months.

31 minutes ago, bobc4d said:

Rick, why do you have Prime as an option for product?  I looked at the comparison chart and the only difference I could see between Prime and BodyPaint is that Bodypaint INCLUDES SCULTPTING (which is also missing in Broadcast and Visualize).  they both cost the same, have same cost for upgrades and MSA.

Well, first - it's not my decision. If it were up to me I'd trim the portfolio to just 1 or 2 editions. I can say that pricing varies regionally and in some places BodyPaint 3D is a tad more expensive than Prime.