Sign in to follow this  
Hrvoje

CINEMA 4D R20 OVERVIEW

13 hours ago, HSrdelic said:

@3D-Pangel

I would say it is not that difficult to extrapolate the roadmap, plus there were hints here and on cgtalk....

Sorry to say so, but according to the hints an update of Bodypaint should have come with R19 update or at least R20 and a nodal material system with an SDK that can easily be integrated in 3rd party render engines. Just two examples.

There have been many hints, but only some of them became true. Relying on hints for a roadmap isn't a good approach. You can always say afterwards that the hint was simply wrong.

I do not trust in 'Fake News', but I would like to know from MAXON what their plan for the future is. Don't get me wrong, the people who run this forum are awesome and the employees and developers from MAXON do a great job, but the management has to change their communication policy.

When I miss minor things in Cinema 4D, I write scripts and I also learn writing macros at the moment. This is a big investment from my side to get more efficient. I'd love to know, what features I can wait for and where I have to find a different solution in my workflow. I also want a stable and efficient SDK to integrate the plugins and use C4D features as much as I can. C4D is a modular and stable application and I appreciate that, but there is always room for improvement, especially when the core is partially rewritten.

I don't want to offend anyone, but just give some constructive criticism. C4D simply matters to me.

Would be good to have access to online help for R20 already imo. Since "secrets" are out, for users without access to beta/demo it could be the next step to make decision to buy/continue with MSA if knows more about new features more time before release...

11 hours ago, Visionnext said:

Sorry to say so, but according to the hints an update of Bodypaint should have come with R19 update or at least R20 and a nodal material system with an SDK that can easily be integrated in 3rd party render engines. Just two examples.

There was actually a very huge update in R19 in regards to BodyPaint. The 3D painting is now done entirely in OpenGL.  In R18 and below it was all done in a software renderer and only switched back to OpenGL if you rotated the model. 

Also curious as to what you would do if the SDK did have access to the nodal material system? Since for all 3rd Party render engines they would just bake these all to textures anyway. For a fully procedural node based workflow in a 3rd party engine it would be preferable to use their own node based materials.  Unless you are talking about UI tools? IE allowing 3rd Party devs an easier way to make the UI for their node system? This part would be beneficial.

• Topic Author
  • 3 minutes ago, kbar said:

Unless you are talking about UI tools? IE allowing 3rd Party devs an easier way to make the UI for their node system

Kent, I believe that this is what plugin devs are mostly interested about. Framework is very robust and I am sure they see how easily they could improve their integration. This will happen and was planned...

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe

11 hours ago, Visionnext said:

I also want a stable and efficient SDK to integrate the plugins and use C4D features as much as I can

The C4D SDK is very stable and efficient. And it has its own forum with dedicated sdk support team to help you with any questions you have.

On 8/6/2018 at 3:38 PM, bezo said:

Would be good to have access to online help for R20 already imo. Since "secrets" are out, for users without access to beta/demo it could be the next step to make decision to buy/continue with MSA if knows more about new features more time before release...

if you have any specific questions, just ask me, I'll make a video or 2. 

here is nodes like you were five :)  ( someone asked to explain on a forum, i think here)

Where can we find the "Nodes Like You're 15" video? I prefer 3x as much detail and also some irrational rage and emotionality. ; )

Seriously, thanks for posting these videos in general. Something for everyone.

Have they still not fixed the PSD morphs in R20? So this was a effectively a beta feature added to R19 that you have to bake all the animation out to get it to work… Sigh!

Would like some of the character rigs to have been updated as well since a lot of them have features that don't quite work. Guess I'll have to go into the rig and fix them myself.

• Topic Author
  • 13 minutes ago, GaryAbrehart said:

Have they still not fixed the PSD morphs in R20? So this was a effectively a beta feature added to R19 that you have to bake all the animation out to get it to work… Sigh!

That particular issue is resolved..

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe

15 minutes ago, GaryAbrehart said:

Would like some of the character rigs to have been updated as well since a lot of them have features that don't quite work. Guess I'll have to go into the rig and fix them myself.

It was conformed on a post further back that PSD morphs are fixed within R20, Im yet to know if there will also be a fix for r19.  Iv asked MAXON sales, and a beta tester if there are any updates to rigging, character tool, or in fact any character base features and the answer was no.

PS:  I think at the pre release stage there should be a complete list of fixes, or slight changes/updates to what would otherwise be thought of as minor.  Iv found at times the minor things can make a big difference.

Dan

So it is fixed - should have worked in the first place! And now it will cost me a full upgrade to get the fix :-)

This may seem like a minor fix but for those of use that use C4D character tools it is a major thing!

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 3:28 PM, HSrdelic said:

C4D is obviously not just MoGraph. Fields, although their initial idea is conceived around MoGraph, are valid and applicable throughout pretty much everything in R20

@3D-Pangel

I think I can safely assume that all of us on Cafe that do have certain insight into development would love to see a change in policy, and I really hope this will change. Until then, we are simply bound by NDA and will of course respect it. With that being said, I am trying to place myself in position of someone who is not acquainted with future and am trying to assess R20 from that standpoint.  I would say it is not that difficult to extrapolate the roadmap, plus there were hints here and on cgtalk....

I do see relationships in how the core is being implemented.  For example, with OpenVDB implementation and the complete lack of any improvements to C4D's native particle system, I would not be surprised that a fluid simulation capability is somewhere on the roadmap with a new particle system capable of supporting it. But all that WON'T happen until the core is turned lose and C4D can handle massive quantities of objects.    But fields had to come first....and just imagine what would be possible with fluid simulation being governed by fields.  I would say it would give Realflow's daemons a run for their money.

Unfortunately, August 20XX is such a long way away....so please MAXON, give us some insights!!!

Dave