HSrdelic

CINEMA 4D R20 OVERVIEW

Great release! Fields possibilities are endless/ovdb on top of that/multiinstances! 
C4d stands up to its ground pretty well in terms of mograph and thats whats expected from the majority of c4d users. Cant wait to get my hands on!!! Big thanks to all MAXON team.

I canceled my MSA for studio after R18 came out, that nodes are added is great. Nodes are standard and should be available already. While MAXON is late with the node based material system, the cad import and the other new features make me upgrade to R20 or go hundini not sure yet.

Seems like a trend started with R16, where every other version there's a large contingent of people who decide not to renew. Many people followed the R16, R18, and now R20 upgrade path (seems like). But perhaps with the new core being complete, there's a good chance R21 breaks the cycle and continues with a mix of big modernizations and substantial expansions of existing feature-sets, like we see in R20.

39 minutes ago, Zmotive said:

Seems like a trend started with R16, where every other version there's a large contingent of people who decide not to renew. Many people followed the R16, R18, and now R20 upgrade path (seems like). But perhaps with the new core being complete, there's a good chance R21 breaks the cycle and continues with a mix of big modernizations and substantial expansions of existing feature-sets, like we see in R20.

Too many variables to take into account.  One update is the bees knees to some, yet to others its the total opposite.  Im sure MAXON know what they are doing, and that they are refining not just the application but their chosen user base.  People leave, others come in, and based on the direction they are taking in their yearly updates will keep working in their favour Im sure.  By the large from what I see most responses are positive but only MAXON will know by the figures during next year.  R20 breaks a cycle for sure, in favour for who is another question.   R19 for me was the best update in years for me, but thats because Im one of a smaller minority of their users, and if r20 is a indication of the new trend then the minority group Im in will get smaller. 

Another aspect is it takes time to get good at something, so you cant just replace experience users that easy, this eventually has a knock on effect with the forum responses.  I based some of my decisions in getting C4D on the support and expertise available, a good community that is willing to help.

Dan

Yeah I would think the CAD import improvements are the main thing, possibly nodal materials depending on what you like to render with. Works with Physical Renderer in C4D, but not sure which third party renderers if any. 

Instances improvements could come into play for things like grass, trees, stones, shag carpet,  etc. Possibly motion tracking if you're adding elements to a recorded scene of an existing structure?

To everyone who was asking if the PSD morph bug was going to be fixed in an R19 release as well as in R20, check out the update for R19 that came out yesterday. 

Looking on Chris´s intro to R20 features and have question about new node material system.

Could be driven materials using User data? There is some node for User Data parameters?

As simple example if I want to change color of car and in user data I have few color presets (meant just pure colors, not complex node based materials)

You can package up shaders and expose certain controls, yes.

These can be distributed or even sold.

A good example of this is the uber shader that comes with R20. It's a material that looks a lot like the standard materials, but it's using the node-based system and is just exposing certain parameters. 

Here's a video that shows the node-based system: https://www.cineversity.com/vidplaytut/c4d_r20_create_shading_relationships_with_node-based_materials

Here's a video that shows the uber shader: https://www.cineversity.com/vidplaytut/c4d_r20_built-in_material_assets_uber_material

• Like 1

On 8/12/2018 at 5:14 PM, Zmotive said:

MAXON is constantly growing, I don't know where are you getting those large numbers from. :) 

On 9/3/2018 at 3:53 AM, Igor said:

MAXON is constantly growing, I don't know where are you getting those large numbers from. :) 

Purely anecdotal using people in the most populous C4D forums as a cross-section of the larger community. Basically the trend I noticed comes from this and other forums. But not scientific by any means nor any guarantee the trend holds (I think it probably won't). Hope not, anyway. :)