Sign in to follow this  
Hrvoje

CINEMA 4D R20 OVERVIEW

2 hours ago, mbyrne said:

Can someone shed some more light on the direction in fields? It says "direction for certain effectors" - what does that mean?

Just like many of the effectors now have a Field Color option, and you can control the color with fields, the Target Effector now has a Field Direction option. So rather than specify the direction based on an object or the camera, you can define it via fields. This means that clones can point towards or away from a spline (or along the direction of the spline). Or the direction can be randomized or defined via tiles or other shaders. Or you can define the direction in a myriad of other ways.

Orestis has some nice examples of this which he's planning to show at Siggraph, so make sure to tune in via C4DLive August 14-16.

Here is a qucik gif with target effector and field direction.

Fish_school.gif

19 hours ago, Rectro said:

The only way they can keep all its users happy to some degree is to be more open about their road map, this mite get some to hang on a little longer, Im not one of them due to their pricing policies that offer a unattractive penalty for missing a update.

Dan

You're reading my mind. If Cinema 4D is a Mograph application, then so be it. I love Cinema 4D, but I really think about sticking to my MSA. MAXON proided many features with R20, but not in the areas that I hoped for. At the moment I'm still on R18 and I may stay there, although I have the right to install R20 when it comes out. I have to chose between an improved R20 and updating all the plugins from R18, or stay on R18, as R20 doesn't bring a real benefit to my use case. When R20 is out, I will give it a test drive and decide then.

I absolutely agree with Dan, that a road map wold be highly appreciated or a commitment about what Cinema 4D will be focused in future.

Yup. A roadmap that shows the big picture priorities in upcoming releases, without showing how the features work or exactly when they'll be available, would provide some piece of mind without harming them competitively. I think quite a few people who balk at the MSA and upgrade every other release or every couple releases, would just bite the bullet and say "OK, I know now the things I need to be addressed are being addressed and I'll get them at some point in the next couple years, so I'm just going to support MAXON via MSA with the knowledge that money will help to build the better workflow I want, rather than jumping ship or using C4D less of the time."

That being said, R20 is definitely a better upgrade than R17 or R19 IMO. Just making a general point that from a communication standpoint, the new CEO would be wise to consider working with his team to publish a blog post with a nice roadmap like this. Would be an immediate sign he's listening and cares about providing some piece of mind, which should in turn provide him with more MSA signups from year to year as the new core gets fully integrated through the app, new materials, new rendering, etc.

MAXON should definitely put out some average between our expectations and reality. Expectations of how long a particular part of the system is going to take don't matter anymore, because everyone is already working on that on there own. It is very short-sighted for a company that is in the same game as their competitors to focus on such a narrow band of competitiveness. Just get it out there and they will come. If it's what they want then they will want it. If you disagree then why are you having it and why do you want it?

While I'm here. Scott, have a day off.

11 hours ago, JLeaburn said:

While I'm here. Scott, have a day off.

any chance you're mixing this one up with the thread over at cgtalk? :D

45 minutes ago, everfresh said:

any chance you're mixing this one up with the thread over at cgtalk? :D

I certainly am. And to save face I'm just not going to care. :wackywink: I just never thought alcohol could do such a thing. I should have typed it in capitals so he might have heard me over at cgtalk.

Silly me.:oops:

Congratulation MAXON to great release, can´t wait to play with...

When watching R20 overview videos, there is a lot of usefull stuff. Maybe one thing what I miss is some kind of retopo of volumes...

Retopology tools together with volumes could be as good as (or much better) than Modo´s MeshFusion Boolean Tools especially for modelers.

11 minutes ago, JLeaburn said:

:wackywink: I just never thought alcohol could do such a thing...

:oregonian_winesmiley:> :cowboypistol::wallhead:

On 8/4/2018 at 1:59 PM, Visionnext said:

You're reading my mind. If Cinema 4D is a Mograph application, then so be it.

C4D is obviously not just MoGraph. Fields, although their initial idea is conceived around MoGraph, are valid and applicable throughout pretty much everything in R20

@3D-Pangel

I think I can safely assume that all of us on Cafe that do have certain insight into development would love to see a change in policy, and I really hope this will change. Until then, we are simply bound by NDA and will of course respect it. With that being said, I am trying to place myself in position of someone who is not acquainted with future and am trying to assess R20 from that standpoint.  I would say it is not that difficult to extrapolate the roadmap, plus there were hints here and on cgtalk....