HSrdelic

CINEMA 4D R20 OVERVIEW

• Topic Author
  • 3 minutes ago, mbyrne said:

omg congrats MAXON this looks super but website seems to be down? @HSrdelic I am looking into nodes and it looks this is not only meant for materials, right? There is no way you would need some of them in mats only? This looks like part of complete xpresso 2 + materials? Please elaborate

Matt

I am not that involved into nodal materials so I can't say if something is in context or not, but what I do know is that Nodal materials use new core and tech which was previously not possible.

• Topic Author
  • btw it is a bit hidden in the list, but in R20 we have openVDB which also work with fields :2gwb921:

Currently the new nodes are only used by the node based materials.

2 minutes ago, HSrdelic said:

Have you checked fields? That is literally next level MoGraph and rest of Cinema is now interconnected - check it out, I find fields to be more impressive than node materials :)

I did. It's definitely nice but nothing worth upgrading over.

Now let me ask you some things: Is there nobody at MAXON that knows how to code an UV editor? Or what is the reason that you keep avoiding improving since forever?

Why are tools being moved to a new kernel modeling noted in the list of features? If it's not relevant to the user experience what is it doing there? Why no actual modeling improvements and new modeling tools? Are you going to wait on the modeling again until you're completely outmatched by all other programs like the last time you upgraded the modeling tools? Which one is gonna be the catch-up version this time? R21? 22? 30?

• Like 2

• Topic Author
  • 2 minutes ago, filipstamate said:

Well, if you are MoGraph user fields alone are worth upgrading. Trust me, Intro videos don't serve them justice. Fields can be used in effectors, deformers, tags , Xpresso, OpenVDB. As far as the rest of your post is concerned, I understand that your interest lies mostly in modelling side. New kernel features are listed for several reasons. First is the improvement in quality and performance of the tools. Second is that with new kernel, old limitations, precision issues and many sorts of unwanted results are resolved. Modelling is quite improved in last few releases, and now you have volume modeling in R20. You can't satisfy everyone and squeeze everything in single release...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, filipstamate said:

Now let me ask you some things: Is there nobody at MAXON that knows how to code an UV editor? Or what is the reason that you keep avoiding improving since forever?

Why are tools being moved to a new kernel modeling noted in the list of features? If it's not relevant to the user experience what is it doing there? Why no actual modeling improvements and new modeling tools? Are you going to wait on the modeling again until you're completely outmatched by all other programs like the last time you upgraded the modeling tools? Which one is gonna be the catch-up version this time? R21? 22? 30?

Its hard to turn a ship this big, and to recreate from new what has been status quo for so long, ie Bodypaint and the underlying mechanics of the theory of how Cinema architecture was built a dozen years ago. Changing that base architecture isn't easy, and the more that depends on it makes it near impossible to revamp sections that need updating. One of the reasons that other apps (3dsmax I'm looking at you) rely so heavily on plugins for core functionality for users. 

If modeling is your main thing, then Cinema hasn't been and should not have been your tool of choice for a while. They have made huge improvements but modelling has not been the #1 reason the software exists. 

It appears to me that Cinema is beginning to get more and more like Photoshop. The feature set is so huge that it is hard to rationalize a single person making use of all of it. Sure there are the power users that will, and will ask for more. But in the small C4D community that I live in, just like PS, we use 20% of what Cinema can do, and if it can't do it we find another tool that can. Our workflow is already set for the next 5 years, and it doesn't include C4D in the render pipeline, just the scene building and dynamics once in a great while. But now that they finally got up to speed (sort of) with the CAD file import and export, my life will be much easier! That alone is worth the price of the MSA update for me. 

All the node stuff looks super cool, and I'm sure I will pyne at the idea of figuring it out, but I already do node based materials in other render engines. 

While I understand the comments about traditional modeling tools, let me just say the new Volume Modeling workflow is fantastic. I've been able to achieve things easily that would've been quite hard or impossible to do with poly modeling.

• Like 1

Looks like a major release but it also makes me wonder if MAXON is looking at an EOL for Bodypaint. The program is now so far behind the times, it's UV tools are so cumbersome compared to other applications that it seems MAXON has no interest in its future. Or at least it seems that way based on today's release.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, srek said:

Currently the new nodes are only used by the node based materials.

And that seals it for me. Peeps, if you haven't figured this one out yet, node materials is first step into Xpresso 2 - that is clear as day. I suspect they are also doing particle and fluids stuff so we may see node "everything" really soon. Love the volumes stuff. fields are still not clear to me, will have to check them in depth

Just now, RBarrett said:

While I understand the comments about traditional modeling tools, let me just say the new Volume Modeling workflow is fantastic. I've been able to achieve things easily that would've been quite hard or impossible to do with poly modeling.

QFA
    I have been using R20 Volumes for modeling for some months now and i basically switched completely to it for 3D printing purposes.

in R20 with VDB you get a whole new modeling tool set. its powerfull its insane! additive and subtraction modeling to create stuff in no time!

Djg64vTW0AILpA7.jpg

• Like 1
    • Awesome 1

UVs and BP are a little bit complicated and not so easy to change as you guys might think. But that doesn't mean MAXON forgot about those two topics. Some things just need time to shine. There are lots of factors you folks dont think about or know about, trust me on that.

• Like 3