Hey, you need a renderfarm? If that's the case, make sure you check this topic for more info! 

HSrdelic

CINEMA 4D R20 OVERVIEW

RBarrett    108
1 minute ago, arail said:

Looks like a major release but it also makes me wonder if MAXON is looking at an EOL for Bodypaint. The program is now so far behind the times, it's UV tools are so cumbersome compared to other applications that it seems MAXON has no interest in its future. Or at least it seems that way based on today's release.

In Release 19 there was a large effort to convert the BP painting process to OpenGL. Even though BodyPaint and UV tools don't appear in the R20 features list, work continues.

Edouard    21
33 minutes ago, filipstamate said:

I did. It's definitely nice but nothing worth upgrading over.

Now let me ask you some things: Is there nobody at MAXON that knows how to code an UV editor? Or what is the reason that you keep avoiding improving since forever?

Why are tools being moved to a new kernel modeling noted in the list of features? If it's not relevant to the user experience what is it doing there? Why no actual modeling improvements and new modeling tools? Are you going to wait on the modeling again until you're completely outmatched by all other programs like the last time you upgraded the modeling tools? Which one is gonna be the catch-up version this time? R21? 22? 30?

My guess is that the new modeling core is a huge task and they need to go further to provide a new UV editor as the two can be related. We can, however, see that things are moving, the new volume modeling is very similar to Modo's MeshFusionn and it's a good thing, it would just deserve a node based editor as well, as things could be rapidly messy with more complex objects I think. My biggest disappointment would be that they didn't (yet) move to multithreading regarding to object manager and xpresso.

HSrdelic    2,778
  • Topic Author
  • Here is field interface of all fields. These babies are amazing, can't wait for people to get their hands on them and show you what can be done :)

Literally anything that was reserved for MoGraph before is now available for deformers, tags and anything else that has falloff + more. For example you can now easily share any data between vertex maps, MoGraph weights and selections, point/edge/polygon selections, weights. You can use real objects as fields, including tags, particles etc

Fields.png

• Like 3

One of the reasons that other apps (3dsmax I'm looking at you) rely so heavily on plugins for core functionality for users. 

Even without plugins 3DSMax has a lot more functionality in those areas. Hey it might be because they bought and integrated plugins, but the end result is what actually matters.

If modeling is your main thing, then Cinema hasn't been and should not have been your tool of choice for a while. 

I wouldn't say main thing, but definitely an important part. Thing is, I believe modeling is such an integral part of content creation that it needs to be kept up-to-date. Meaning, it is extremely annoying to have to resort to plugins or other applications or workarounds for things that are now pretty much considered standard when it comes to modeling. It's not like say, a different render engine. Or a plugin for fluids... although, you know, given the price of C4D compared to other programs, the fact that it's missing fluid simulation is quite annoying as well.

Glenster    24
    1 minute ago, filipstamate said:

If modeling is your main thing, then Cinema hasn't been and should not have been your tool of choice for a while. 

I wouldn't say main thing, but definitely an important part. Thing is, I believe modeling is such an integral part of content creation that it needs to be kept up-to-date. Meaning, it is extremely annoying to have to resort to plugins or other applications or workarounds for things that are now pretty much considered standard when it comes to modeling

if anyone has any thoughts on what is missing in c4ds modeling tool set you are more than welcome to PM me or even start a thread to collect your thoughts. i can promise you i will make sure the decision makers will see it. so go ahead! :)

• Like 1

Rectro    705

Congrats to MAXON for what I hope that the majority will find whats been added of useful value.  Im glad that I got to see whats in store for r20 this early.

Dan

everfresh    334

i'm excited about fields and the new mograph instancing... but i'm a bit disappointed the CA department didn't get ANY love this year... not even a fix for stuff that never worked properly like PSDs and openSubDiv :/ ... also i'm still missing proper symmetry. overall still a nice release.

• Like 1

Rectro    705
    Just now, everfresh said:

i'm excited about fields and the new mograph instancing... but i'm a bit disappointed the CA department didn't get ANY love this year... not even a fix for stuff that never worked properly like PSDs and openSubDiv :/ ... also i'm still missing proper symmetry. overall still a nice release.

Yea, for the Mograph users I can see many will be happy, as for me its made my choices clear for were I go with C4D, which I feel is a great shame as I held a tiny thread of hope on the very things you mentioned. I do hope at least the PSD morph render fix is within a free bug fix and not within r20 release.

Dan

8 minutes ago, Glenster said:

if anyone has any thoughts on what is missing in c4ds modeling tool set you are more than welcome to PM me or even start a thread to collect your thoughts. i can promise you i will make sure the decision makers will see it. so go ahead! :)

Thank you, will do!

Although, shouldn't the MAXON employees be aware of what is out there already? Like know your competition and such?

For a small example, compare the proportional editing in Blender for example to what is available in C4D. Not a missing feature per se, just an outdated feature. 

And just a note, despite being negative about this release, I actually love C4D and in fact it can do many of the things I need.

But it's because I love it that I want to see it get better and not be trampled by other programs.

VECTOR    550

Certainly not going to be able to please everyone, but it is disappointing, as @everfresh has made a point of, that there's no updates to the character animation side of things, and @Cerbera hopes for a properly working opensubdiv, seem to have been dashed again, still some nice new features like nodal materials which i  wasn't expecting :)

• Like 1