HSrdelic

CINEMA 4D R20 OVERVIEW

• Topic Author
  • Oh I totally forgot about Multi instances. You can now have crowd simulations :)

Here is a quick screencapture from viewport

Min.mp4

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HSrdelic said:

Oh I totally forgot about Multi instances. You can now have crowd simulations :)

Here is a quick screencapture from viewport

Min.mp4

that's actually quite a good performance! like i said, the mograph enhancements are really awesome and much appreciated!

I do a lot of mograph stuff so the fields effects are interesting. Multi instance seems great, hope it is easy to inegrate into 3rd party renderers.

The VDB stuff looks nice. Xparticles has had this for awhile (and houdini forever)so I'll be interested to see how the native C4D implementation compares. Seems weird to rely on it for actual modelling though, as poly meshes generated via VDB are always pretty gross even if they are all quads. Not sure but I think meshfusion in Modo is more advanced than this as it still keeps hard edges and flow (Kiwi, is that right? ha).

Node based materials + Prorender I will barely use since I'm using Redshift and Octane these days, but nice to know they're there. I can see some people finding node-based materials a bit of a challenge to get used to.

Bodypaint MIA, but motion tracker has been updated. Go figure.

I'll still upgrade. I love C4D.

• Like 2

Okay....while I am still trying to absorb exactly what R20 means to me, a quick overview of this thread shows that response shows more disappointment than excitement.  Maybe we set our expectations too high with R20.  It is clear that MAXON has  signaled a focus on motion graphics with this release...which is fine as that is the jewel in the crown for C4D.  But  I think we need some response from MAXON on exactly what the future holds for those features of the program that continue to be ignored.

Does MAXON still have  a commitment to improving BP?  To particles?  To modeling?  To Character animation?  Where do these feature reside in MAXON's overall market strategy?  What is their priority?

Please be honest with us.  If they are no longer part of your business model or a low priority than it is best to be upfront with that information now.  That level of honesty will create more good will with you user base than to let us figure it out after years of inactivity and silence.  Worse yet, is to lead us on that you are still working on it, but then not definitely address the missing features with each release.  And while there are "performance" improvements with the new core, then please explain how those improvements are better than desired features in our overall workflow?

I am not asking for release dates. I am not asking on a specific set of features planned for R21.  I just want to know if there is a commitment within MAXON to address long standing user concerns on areas of the program that are not core to your key markets such as motion graphics.   What are your priorities when it comes to BP, particles, character animation, modeling, etc. 

Dave

• Like 7
    • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, 3D-Pangel said:

What are your priorities when it comes to BP, particles, character animation, modeling, etc. 

Looking at R20 is enough for me to say Im out of the MSA/Upgrade loop, and will not be moving past r19 unless the enhancements list shows something significant to the very things you mentioned. 

Dan 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Does MAXON still have  a commitment to improving BP?  To particles?  To modeling?  To Character animation?  Where do these feature reside in MAXON's overall market strategy?  What is their priority?

Please be honest with us.

I always appreciate your well-reasoned posts Dave. I already replied with regard to BodyPaint earlier in the thread. Other areas that may seem fallow are similarly just that - spots where the land is being prepared to spring forth new life. A new modeling core was introduced in R19 and pushed further in R20. The overall core modernization effort continues, and areas are being addressed based on logical sequencing and available resources. 

I can't get into more detail than that at the moment, but I expect more clarity on market strategy will come once our new CEO has had a chance to settle in.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, geosautus said:

Looks like a great release!

Will third party render engines be able to use the new nodal interface?

every 3rd party renderer has its own material system, most of them are node based anyways. so the answer to your question would be no.

Is VDB part of Prime? I like it in Houdini but care must be used because you can quickly gets loits of volume and SLOW your machine down

What about modeling tools updates, prime gets love or not?

What about s one of new rendering modes?

What about material nodes, prime or not?