• “Great art picks up where nature ends.”  Marc Chagall 

Sign in to follow this  
Hrvoje

CINEMA 4D R20 OVERVIEW

7 minutes ago, everfresh said:

every 3rd party renderer has its own material system, most of them are node based anyways. so the answer to your question would be no.

Of course, I'm just talking about the UI itself. If the devs have access to the nodal material UI the same way they have access to the xpresso UI? I would love to use the new interface in Redshift.

8 minutes ago, bobc4d said:

Is VDB part of Prime?

What about modeling tools updates, prime gets love or not?

What about s one of new rendering modes?

What about material nodes, prime or not?

VDB is in Broadcast, Visualize and Studio

Modeling tool updates and nodes are in all editions.

2 minutes ago, geosautus said:

Of course, I'm just talking about the UI itself. If the devs have access to the nodal material UI the same way they have access to the xpresso UI? I would love to use the new interface in Redshift.

oh i see what you mean... sorry, i didn't get that from your first post.

1 minute ago, RBarrett said:

VDB is in Broadcast, Visualize and Studio

Modeling tool updates and nodes are in all editions.

Thank you Rick.

I don't have a dirty mind because I use Mental Floss.

13 minutes ago, RBarrett said:

I always appreciate your well-reasoned posts Dave. I already replied with regard to BodyPaint earlier in the thread. Other areas that may seem fallow are similarly just that - spots where the land is being prepared to spring forth new life. A new modeling core was introduced in R19 and pushed further in R20. The overall core modernization effort continues, and areas are being addressed based on logical sequencing and available resources. 

I can't get into more detail than that at the moment, but I expect more clarity on market strategy will come once our new CEO has had a chance to settle in.

Much appreciated.  As for me, my commitment to C4D remains just because the program is so much fun to use, stable and works as intended.  But I think MAXON is missing an opportunity with their non-mogrpah customers if they remain silent.  I know as a MAXON employee you see the entire plan of getting from point A to point B with the new core, but we can only see Point A with each release and (to use a graphical analogy) you can draw a lot of lines though a single point.  Therefore,  if MAXON opens up a bit on the future of the program it will help us draw a line in the right direction. 

In short, you have to give us a reason to continue to be patient as you fully roll out the new core because in our minds, we were thinking that rolling out the new core was only a 3 year journey that started in with R17 and end with R20.  Obviously that is not the case as you just said that more time is needed to make fallow ground fertile. 

I just think it is in everyone's best interests if MAXON starts to give us indications of what you are planting!

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

In another thread, I remember someone who saw an interview with Andres Hildebrandt, vice-director Marketing from MAXON, in the latest 3D World mag, who said that in regard to R20 "one of the focuses that might be obvious is that we want to reach out to the 2D community"... I saw the new features and I don't see what he was talking about.

2 hours ago, GSwartz said:

And still no bodypaint updates.  This just confirms my decision to not renew my MSA this year.  C4D has been a fun ride, but I'm tired of waiting for it to catch up.

There is a wonderful plugin by Gamelogicdesign: 4DPublish and in there you can paint, projection paint, import your Mari, Substance Painter, zBrush or 3DCoat textures and paint on them (import UDIMs as well)..... you can paint within the Sculpting Module with a special brush or within Bodypaint itself..... use sculpting masks or regular photoshop masks, paint on layers in several channels and it is works a bit like Mudbox but within Cinema 4d but better. And this is just a summary of all the great much needed features within Cinema4D.... So basically, you can do all your work within Cinema4d and forget about the fact that they do not seem to be interested in developing Bodypaint any further. It is very affordable as well (especially if you only need the paint module of 4DPublish appropriately called 4DPaint...). and I am not affiliated to the Developer, I am just a 3D artist who also happens to be a 2D painter , a visual artist that is....

https://www.4dpublish.com/

11 minutes ago, Edouard said:

In another thread, I remember someone who saw an interview with Andres Hildebrandt, vice-director Marketing from MAXON, in the latest 3D World mag, who said that in regard to R20 "one of the focuses that might be obvious is that we want to reach out to the 2D community"... I saw the new features and I don't see what he was talking about.

the only thing i could tie to that statement is actually the vdb meshing. the topology it produces doesn't hold up for realistic shaded stuff that needs to be precisely modelled. but for cel shaded 2D fluid effects and such i can see the possibilities. right now i use the metaball object in combination with the smoothing deformer for things like that, but the vdb mesher seems to provide much more control and also much cleaner results.

12 minutes ago, everfresh said:

the only thing i could tie to that statement is actually the vdb meshing. the topology it produces doesn't hold up for realistic shaded stuff that needs to be precisely modelled. but for cel shaded 2D fluid effects and such i can see the possibilities. right now i use the metaball object in combination with the smoothing deformer for things like that, but the vdb mesher seems to provide much more control and also much cleaner results.

To be honest I expected something more "obvious" like the new Blender's Grease Pencil system but my expectations were obviously too high :)

My feeling to the new headline features:
Node-based materials -  Too late.  Already switched to 3rd party rendering.

ProRender Enhancements - Is prorender still 32x slower than Cycles?

Mograph fields - Do stuff you could already do in R19, but a little easier.

CAD data import - Don't use at all.

Volume Modeling -  The nightmare version of a sculpting program you probably already have because you needed something better than the outdated bodypaint.

Please tell me I've missed something.
As is I'm converting my files to .blend as I think about the details I need to take care of before I leave c4d forever.

Looks fantastic!!! I think sometime people forget that C4D is hands down the most stable 3D application in existence. The new nodes look amazing and I'm sure our beloved 3rd party engines will adopt the new UI eventually.

So many amazing features and so many things are coming to light now! Xpresso is going to look awesome under the new node UI, probably R21.

Cinema 4D is hands down the easiest 3D software to use and learn. What a single 3D artist can achieve using C4D is unmatched by any other software.

Congrats to MAXON !!!

- Shawn