Sign in to follow this  
Hrvoje

CINEMA 4D R20 OVERVIEW

Sad news for character animators. Wondering if there's any playback speed improvements on single/multiple characters per scene. Guess no.

5 minutes ago, astrofalcon said:

...Xpresso is going to look awesome under the new node UI, probably R21.

I really hope we don't have to wait that long for it - but I suspect we will...

Looking more into the fields stuff, and .. wow it's pretty great. I highly recommend the aixsponza intro videos by Manuel, that guy is a boffin and his entagma Houdini tutorials are amazing. https://www.aixsponza.com/projects/chroma

Does anyone know what render engine was used for the influencers demo short from Fosm Studio? I really hope it’s pro render...

I hoped to get more features regarding characters, but I love to get a nodal material system finally and hope that Vray for C4D supports it.

Still have to sort out what R20 means for me, but as I have an MSA, I definitely get R20 anyway. It seems that the FBX import was improved as well, so maybe some features, like initial offset of joints may be recognized and imported now correctly.

I'm still exited and optimistic. Hopefully the MAXON communication about the future roadmap improves as well.

47 minutes ago, Fastbee said:

My feeling to the new headline features:
Node-based materials -  Too late.  Already switched to 3rd party rendering.

ProRender Enhancements - Is prorender still 32x slower than Cycles?

Mograph fields - Do stuff you could already do in R19, but a little easier.

CAD data import - Don't use at all.

Volume Modeling -  The nightmare version of a sculpting program you probably already have because you needed something better than the outdated bodypaint.

Please tell me I've missed something.
As is I'm converting my files to .blend as I think about the details I need to take care of before I leave c4d forever.

Node base materials - Same im using Redshift, but hopefully they expand it to Xpresso

ProRender - Seems like V  1.0 (last one was alpha/beta) Lets wait and see. Cant hurt another GPU render if they fix the speed.

Mograph Field - The whole point of Mograph is to work faster and easier, so its a really great update, one who translates all across C4D into Particles, Deformers, Vertex Maps. Its the reason we use Cinema 4D instead of another 3d app. But, if you prefer animating by hand, by all means go for it.

CAD data import - https://www.traceparts.com/en browse them yourself (100 million parts) and see if it doesn't help you at all for modeling.

Volume Modeling - Is extensively used in Houdini, so I'm not really sure why are you complaining about this one. From modeling to importing VDB http://www.openvdb.org/download/ MAXON is just starting with this one.

You missed Multi-instance cloner, a must if your viewport begs for mercy when using Mograph, some enhancements to Object Tracking, and the long awaited delete polygon + vertex with a single click.

CAD import could be very useful actually. It's all going to depend on quality of meshing which is as yet unknown. I'm assuming that this is for MAC AND PC? 

15 minutes ago, rfanoni said:

CAD import could be very useful actually. It's all going to depend on quality of meshing which is as yet unknown. I'm assuming that this is for MAC AND PC? 

Yes CAD import is totally cross-platform. Meshing is very good, with options to adjust the tessellation for the entire project or adjust the tessellation in 3 stages based on the relative size of each object.

One thing I really hope for is that MAXON add a few of the missing elements - 'SSS in the material nodes' being just one example - during the R20 cycle. It's crazy if we have to wait 12 months for such minor upgrades. Small, but significant missing elements such as these can be a real issue in adopting new features.

I suppose a nice release for motion graphics artists and CAD users. Nodes were LOOOONG overdue, so not really a new feature in my view, and ProRender users in other packages have had those render options for a longer time now as well.

I didn't see the denoiser option for ProRender? Did that make it into this release?

Otherwise, quite a few long standing issues and missing features that I assumed would be tackled in this release still haven't seen even a glance of attention, it seems? Odd.

Anyway, good to see nodes finally introduced.

One thing I am wondering about, though: what's the point of Prime anymore? MAXON even dares to mention "UV editing" as a Prime feature - that's grabbing at straws, isn't it?  Perhaps it would be a good idea to merge Broadcast and Visualize into one, call it "Foundation" and keep "Studio". Then put a price tag of $1999 on "Foundation".

• Topic Author
  • 4 hours ago, geosautus said:

Of course, I'm just talking about the UI itself. If the devs have access to the nodal material UI the same way they have access to the xpresso UI? I would love to use the new interface in Redshift.

I will have to ask around since I am not sure, but afaik, API exists but I am not sure if it will be available to plugin devs immediately...

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe

• Topic Author
  • 2 hours ago, Fastbee said:

Mograph fields - Do stuff you could already do in R19, but a little easier.

Since I am heavily involved in this I can just state that you are way wrong. Sure you can do stuff from R19 easier, but that is just a bonus. Fields are number one feature for me in R20 and once people get hold off it you will see why that is the case

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe