CINEMA 4D R20 OVERVIEW

Hrvoje

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Okay....while I am still trying to absorb exactly what R20 means to me, a quick overview of this thread shows that response shows more disappointment than excitement.  Maybe we set our expectations to

Hi folks :)   https://www.maxon.net/en/products/new-in-release-20/overview/   Here is a full feature list   Cinema 4D Release 20 Complete Feature List

That issue is resolved in R20

Posted Images

It looks like MAXON put a lot of work into this release, and I look forward to playing with it. The mograph updates and nodal material rendering is exciting. However, it looks like MAXON is strengthening was was already strong (motion graphics) rather than fixing the weak areas (body point, character animation, some modeling deficiencies, lack of fluids or good particle system). I don't think it will really compete with Houdini for high end motion graphics, but I hope it will be stable and fast. Stability was always the best feature of the program for me.

9 minutes ago, Isleofgough said:

I don't think it will really compete with Houdini for high end motion graphics, but I hope it will be stable and fast. Stability was always the best feature of the program for me.

To be fair, C4D / Xparticles requires zero knowledge of scripting to be proficient with it.. while Houdini on the other hand....

42 minutes ago, luchifer said:

To be fair, C4D / Xparticles requires zero knowledge of scripting to be proficient with it.. while Houdini on the other hand....

No need for scripting either. But if you need more control VEX is there.

1 hour ago, HSrdelic said:

I will have to ask around since I am not sure, but afaik, API exists but I am not sure if it will be available to plugin devs immediately...

Aoktar, the developer of the Octane plugin, said the nodal interface is not part of the R20 SDK. I hope he is just mistaken. That would put a serious damper on my R20 enthusiasm.

Fingers crossed!

16 minutes ago, Sreckom said:

No need for scripting either. But if you need more control you VEX is there.

Not just more control. Houdini is powerful but tools that work om the fly here simply doesnt exist there and if you are used to them, you have to recreate them and sooner than later you'll need vex.

Last time I used Houdini, in order to clone (copy stamp) around polygon center you need to add an attribute wrangle to find the center point of the selected primitive and delete the remaining points using vex, and God I hope they have added a node to orient a clone around a normal instead of using vex or the unintuitive workaround of adding a facet node I believe?

1 hour ago, Isleofgough said:

The mograph updates and nodal material rendering is exciting. However, it looks like MAXON is strengthening was was already strong

Better to strengthening something that was already strong than resting on its laurels like they did with Bodypaint for years. Something I'm sure is whatever the size of the R21 release will be, as long as BP won't received a significant update the overall reception will be always a bit tainted, same thing with the long overdue multithreaded object handling. 

32 minutes ago, luchifer said:

Not just more control. Houdini is powerful but tools that work om the fly here simply doesnt exist there and if you are used to them, you have to recreate them and sooner than later you'll need vex.

Last time I used Houdini, in order to clone (copy stamp) around polygon center you need to add an attribute wrangle to find the center point of the selected primitive and delete the remaining points using vex, and God I hope they have added a node to orient a clone around a normal instead of using vex or the unintuitive workaround of adding a facet node I believe?

No need for single character of Vex code if you want to do that, plus there are several ways of doing it without Vex. But lets not go offtopic, I can send you screenshot if u want.

I'm very, very happy about R20. 

Looking at some of the videos on Fields, they are MUCH more powerful than they seemed at first glance. Like...really, really powerful. And the fact that you can use one single field to affect different mograph things, vertex maps, point selections, deformer falloffs, and other things is just crazy. I especially love some of the growth effects you can use. Never would have expected that. It's insane.

Fields are useful for modeling, texturing, and other stuff in addition to animating!

It's my favorite feature MAXON has introduced since I first started using Cinema 4D nine years ago.

As to the rest of the features, the OpenVDB meshing looks to be really nicely implemented, the texturing node system looks incredible (can't wait for it to carry over into Xpresso - multiple line dragging? YES PLEASE!), CAD import looks solid and fully-featured, and lots of little enhancements throughout (like non-overlapping UVs in primitives and the fact that deleting polygons also deletes the orphaned points now).

Looking at the amount of work and rich functionality MAXON has added to the node system and to fields makes me very excited about the way they're building the product. I know BodyPaint got it's little OpenGL bump last release, but if the update to BodyPaint, UVs, etc. has the attention to detail that the node-based rendering system and fields has, I'll be a very happy camper on that release too.

• Igor unpinned this topic