Sign in to follow this  
Hrvoje

CINEMA 4D R20 OVERVIEW

16 minutes ago, Sreckom said:

No need for scripting either. But if you need more control you VEX is there.

Not just more control. Houdini is powerful but tools that work om the fly here simply doesnt exist there and if you are used to them, you have to recreate them and sooner than later you'll need vex.

Last time I used Houdini, in order to clone (copy stamp) around polygon center you need to add an attribute wrangle to find the center point of the selected primitive and delete the remaining points using vex, and God I hope they have added a node to orient a clone around a normal instead of using vex or the unintuitive workaround of adding a facet node I believe?

1 hour ago, Isleofgough said:

The mograph updates and nodal material rendering is exciting. However, it looks like MAXON is strengthening was was already strong

Better to strengthening something that was already strong than resting on its laurels like they did with Bodypaint for years. Something I'm sure is whatever the size of the R21 release will be, as long as BP won't received a significant update the overall reception will be always a bit tainted, same thing with the long overdue multithreaded object handling. 

32 minutes ago, luchifer said:

Not just more control. Houdini is powerful but tools that work om the fly here simply doesnt exist there and if you are used to them, you have to recreate them and sooner than later you'll need vex.

Last time I used Houdini, in order to clone (copy stamp) around polygon center you need to add an attribute wrangle to find the center point of the selected primitive and delete the remaining points using vex, and God I hope they have added a node to orient a clone around a normal instead of using vex or the unintuitive workaround of adding a facet node I believe?

No need for single character of Vex code if you want to do that, plus there are several ways of doing it without Vex. But lets not go offtopic, I can send you screenshot if u want.

I'm very, very happy about R20. 

Looking at some of the videos on Fields, they are MUCH more powerful than they seemed at first glance. Like...really, really powerful. And the fact that you can use one single field to affect different mograph things, vertex maps, point selections, deformer falloffs, and other things is just crazy. I especially love some of the growth effects you can use. Never would have expected that. It's insane.

Fields are useful for modeling, texturing, and other stuff in addition to animating!

It's my favorite feature MAXON has introduced since I first started using Cinema 4D nine years ago.

As to the rest of the features, the OpenVDB meshing looks to be really nicely implemented, the texturing node system looks incredible (can't wait for it to carry over into Xpresso - multiple line dragging? YES PLEASE!), CAD import looks solid and fully-featured, and lots of little enhancements throughout (like non-overlapping UVs in primitives and the fact that deleting polygons also deletes the orphaned points now).

Looking at the amount of work and rich functionality MAXON has added to the node system and to fields makes me very excited about the way they're building the product. I know BodyPaint got it's little OpenGL bump last release, but if the update to BodyPaint, UVs, etc. has the attention to detail that the node-based rendering system and fields has, I'll be a very happy camper on that release too.

Great update! Viewport lag with mograph instances is the most common issue in my workflow so the Multi Instance feature is a wonderful new addition.

The inclusion of fields also looks interesting, it seems to be steering C4D towards Houdini functionality. It would be great if there were a few "Vertex Pusher" like tutorials to quickly help to get to grips with them.

As many have said before, Redshift is my main rendering solution now so the node based materials has less of an impact on me (though it would be great if Redshift could utilise the c4d nodal interface). That being said, I often work with clients that force me to use native C4D rendering capabilities, so I'm sure I'll find the nodal system useful.

I also use c4d for modelling and character work. I don't really understand  why users are complaining about the lack of character and modelling updates when these were addressed in the last few version updates, particularly for modelling (polygon pen, new knife and bezel tools).

Also, while the current UV tools in C4D may not be the best out there, I can still do all I need to do extremely well with the inclusion of a few plugins. The workflow is smooth and stable - nothing to whinge about.

In contrast to the positives, there's a few negatives:

ProRenderer, still unimpressed with this. I wish the C4D devs concentrated on other aspects of the application over this renderer that nobody uses. It has to be a viable competitor to the other GPU renderers out there or just forget it.

It's obvious the MAXON and Insydium have some kind of agreement as C4D will never include any functionality that encroaches on what X-Particles can do.

For me,  it's rare for any dynamic simulation that's more than super simple  to work as it should, out of the box, without at least an hour of tweaking and cheating. I have a feeling that the dynamic algorithms are all in need of re-writing and optimisation.

Other than that, looking forward to using R20!

• Topic Author
  • 3 minutes ago, SKaiser said:

The inclusion of fields also looks interesting, it seems to be steering C4D towards Houdini functionality. It would be great if there were a few "Vertex Pusher" like tutorials to quickly help to get to grips with them.

Your wish is granted - I am actually wrapping up fields training as we type :)

Fields are awesome :Bang:

1 minute ago, HSrdelic said:

Your wish is granted - I am actually wrapping up fields training as we type :)

Fields are awesome :Bang:

Awesome - Looking forward to it!

I think sometime people forget that C4D is hands down the most stable 3D application in existence.

Does this really matter more than the features? I'm sorry, but this is not an excuse.

And in fact, stability seems to have taken a hit as years went by too. C4D was the program that "never" crashed... well, you can't really say that about it anymore. It's still very solid, of course, but just something to think about.

I would love to use the new interface in Redshift.

It would be great. The Xpresso UI is... old.

Of course, Redshift could also do their own UI like Octane did.

13 minutes ago, filipstamate said:

Does this really matter more than the features? I'm sorry, but this is not an excuse.

Excuse for what? If stability is so easy to achieve, then by all means whats the excuse Modo and Maya have to crash so frequently?

6 minutes ago, luchifer said:

Excuse for what? If stability is so easy to achieve, then by all means whats the excuse Modo and Maya have to crash so frequently?

Excuse for poor/missing features, since the person I quoted posted that as if people shouldn't complain about features because C4D is so stable.

Honestly I'd rather take the 2 crashes per day (or whatever is the industry standard) than the C4D stability, if that's really what it takes to have more and better features.

The issues with crashing in the Maya or Max (don't know about Modo) are very overblown anyway. It's really pretty much like someone saying today that they use Macs because Windows crashes all the time. It's just not true.

Also, I always save very often, even in C4D so crashes are a minor annoyance at most.