Sign in to follow this  
Hrvoje

CINEMA 4D R20 OVERVIEW

1 hour ago, SKaiser said:

It's obvious the MAXON and Insydium have some kind of agreement as C4D will never include any functionality that encroaches on what X-Particles can do.

I don't know about that. The VDB Meshing in R20 is really, really similar to the xpOpenVDBmesher.

Also, a lot of the functionality of the xpVertexMapMaker is now present in what fields can do with vertex maps. Granted, it doesn't quite do everything the xpVertexMapMaker can do (like changing the vertices by the speed of how fast the mesh is moving, for example), but it replaces a lot of it. I mean, you can do wet maps natively in C4D now really, really easily!

31 minutes ago, Zmotive said:

I will say MAXON deserves a little dig because after R19 was released there was some communication going on to the effect of interim BodyPaint developments underway, and that they would be available at some interim point (unspecified), and that never materialized.

That's a fair criticism, though I hope you'll allow me to clarify a bit. During the R18 cycle there was a blog post which communicated that OpenGL painting would be made available in the R18 cycle, and that UV editing are the next BP-related area of emphasis. The OpenGL painting was delivered as an open beta at the very tail end of the R18 cycle and included as a feature in R19. UV improvements are still next among BP-related features - it just isn't part of R20.

31 minutes ago, Zmotive said:

One thing I'd like to know: when working with SolidWorks files is C4D aware of the assembly components that make up a file and allow them to be handled individually after import, or is it a monolithic object

If you take a look at my CAD import video, you can see there's tons of options available. You can combine objects based on assembly components, display color or mesh structure. Also instances of assembly components import as instances, which is huge. Also display colors and materials can be imported, and tessellation adjusted based on the object's relative size in the project. It's really robust. I'd say it's my favorite feature, but there's fields, VDB, Multi-Instances as well - and I'd risk sounding like Thanassis at Siggraph.

h Szalam. I did see some of that veideo earlier. I think I just haven't wrapped my brain around it fully and once I see a few more working examples I'll have a full sense of what it can do beyond expanding the type of falloffs that exist.

Here's another question: Uber Material...  the intent is that this will eventually replace the standard C4D Material (which Rick mentioned is still in there) right? I'm assuming there may be a means to add anything from any of the 150 nodes to that window that is mocked up on MAXON's site (bottom of the nodal section) but maybe I'm not getting the intent there.

IOW it's basically the "check box and sliders version" of any given nodal material 'network' you create... but you can also start from the other side with standard settings shown there... and add more by virtue of going into the editor and adding a node then switching back to the window view when you're done? That's where the "expose only the parameters you want" aspect comes into play?

11 minutes ago, Zmotive said:

Here's another question: Uber Material

Don't worry so much about the Uber Material itself. The beauty is in what it represents.

The most powerful aspect of the node system is the opportunity to package node groups as reusable assets, and these assets can be used directly in the node editor or a very flexible UI system allows them to be accessed directly in the Material Editor window without ever looking at a node. It's much like User Data in the Object System, but much more flexible.

The Uber Material is the ultimate example of this. It wasn't created by our developers, but by our design team, using the same tools available to any C4D user. In fact, there's a number of these purpose-built node materials packaged with R20, which make it easy to create car paint, rocks, marble, wood, etc. It's much like the classic 3D shaders (Banji, Banzi, Danel, etc) except created completely in nodes by a non-developer. The Uber Material, with it's tabs, conditionally-visible parameters, drop-downs and more, show how incredibly flexible this UI system is.

In fact, any Nodal Material can expose just certain parameters in UI mode just by propogating those parameters and choosing "Set Start Node". So you can create complex reusable nodal setups, and easily tweak parameters without opening the nodal interface each time.

I'm less excited about having the node-based materials in general as I am about the node system itself. It's really, really slick and full of handy little workflow tidbits that make it seem like MAXON's had node-based materials for ages and have been tweaking them over several cycles. It bodes well for the future Xpresso overhaul which I hope is coming soon. Don't get me wrong though, I am excited about the node-based system since we're still using standard and physical renderers at my full time job! There have been countless times when that would have saved me so much time!

I also think the care and thoughtfulness that went into the new material system is a good omen for the promised future BodyPaint and UV updates.

28 minutes ago, RBarrett said:

That's a fair criticism, though I hope you'll allow me to clarify a bit. During the R18 cycle there was a blog post which communicated that OpenGL painting would be made available in the R18 cycle, and that UV editing are the next BP-related area of emphasis. The OpenGL painting was delivered as an open beta at the very tail end of the R18 cycle and included as a feature in R19. UV improvements are still next among BP-related features - it just isn't part of R20.

If you take a look at my CAD import video, you can see there's tons of options available. You can combine objects based on assembly components, display color or mesh structure. Also instances of assembly components import as instances, which is huge. Also display colors and materials can be imported, and tessellation adjusted based on the object's relative size in the project. It's really robust. I'd say it's my favorite feature, but there's fields, VDB, Multi-Instances as well - and I'd risk sounding like Thanassis at Siggraph.

Thanks for the clarifications Rick. The CAD import improvements do look fairly robust. I think I'm going to have to try a couple test files and see what I get. Certainly looks easier than the third party plugins I've researched and tried though.

1 hour ago, HSrdelic said:

Your wish is granted - I am actually wrapping up fields training as we type :)

Fields are awesome :Bang:

Any tutorials on material nodes?  Now, using a node is pretty straight forward,  What I want to understand is a deeper understanding of how to break down a desired effect into a design approach with the nodal system.  A lot of times, the tutorials go as follows: Connect A to B to C,D, and E and then back to D with a side connect to G and back to F and viola you have aged copper with rusty edges.  Okay.....so how do you know to start with A?  How did you even know that nodes B to G were required?

That is the type of training I am looking for - how to build that logic and a few design approaches. 

Thanks,

Dave

13 minutes ago, RBarrett said:

Don't worry so much about the Uber Material itself. The beauty is in what it represents.

The most powerful aspect of the node system is the opportunity to package node groups as reusable assets, and these assets can be used directly in the node editor or a very flexible UI system allows them to be accessed directly in the Material Editor window without ever looking at a node. It's much like User Data in the Object System, but much more flexible.

The Uber Material is the ultimate example of this. It wasn't created by our developers, but by our design team, using the same tools available to any C4D user. In fact, there's a number of these purpose-built node materials packaged with R20, which make it easy to create car paint, rocks, marble, wood, etc. It's much like the classic 3D shaders (Banji, Banzi, Danel, etc) except created completely in nodes by a non-developer. The Uber Material, with it's tabs, conditionally-visible parameters, drop-downs and more, show how incredibly flexible this UI system is.

In fact, any Nodal Material can expose just certain parameters in UI mode just by propogating those parameters and choosing "Set Start Node". So you can create complex reusable nodal setups, and easily tweak parameters without opening the nodal interface each time.

Almost missed this one. It sounds almost like the new feature in AE where you can package a series of effect parameters and expose just those parameters in a panel or in Premiere Pro. Basically you set up a network of nodes and then when you package it as an asset you can view it in the standard editor window as checkboxes, sliders, etc?

1 minute ago, 3D-Pangel said:

What I want to understand is a deeper understanding of how to break down a desired effect into a design approach with the nodal system. 

I'll keep that feedback in mind as we work on Node-Based Material tutorials for Cineversity. Have you watched my node quickstart video yet? I think there's a bit of that, in that I explained I was trying to get the lollipop stripes, and so I needed a way to feed a gradient with complementary colors. I probably could explain the thought process more fully, especially as the video goes deeper into the grid and context aspects.

Also, if there's specific effects you'd like to see us work towards, I'd love to hear those ideas.

2 minutes ago, Zmotive said:

It sounds almost like the new feature in AE where you can package a series of effect parameters

Yeah, it's a very similar concept to Master Properties and also the  Substance integration in C4D, though the UI options are much more extensive.

15 minutes ago, RBarrett said:

I'll keep that feedback in mind as we work on Node-Based Material tutorials for Cineversity. Have you watched my node quickstart video yet? I think there's a bit of that, in that I explained I was trying to get the lollipop stripes, and so I needed a way to feed a gradient with complementary colors. I probably could explain the thought process more fully, especially as the video goes deeper into the grid and context aspects.

Also, if there's specific effects you'd like to see us work towards, I'd love to hear those ideas.

Pull out the 2009 Star Trek reboot and watch the opening scene where there is this amazing close up of the hull of the Kelvin spaceship.  Just look at the multiple levels of metal reflections off of the hull.  Just gorgeous.  Please try to duplicate that!  You can find it here:

Also check out the work done on the Enterprise's hull at 1:02 mark. 

Dave

I met Roger Guyette (Star Trek ILM VFX supervisor) before he worked on Star Trek.   We talked about the work he did on Mission Impossible 3 and the lighting of the Hong Kong that he had to recreate in the scene where Tom Cruise jumps off a building.   He has a tremendous eye for lighting and texturing in all his work.

15 minutes ago, RBarrett said:

Yeah, it's a very similar concept to Master Properties and also the  Substance integration in C4D, though the UI options are much more extensive.

Nice. Thanks for putting in the time to answer these questions for everyone Rick. Great to have a MAXON presence here. (Not that you're the only presence, but in general... very helpful.)