QuasarJoe

R20 Node Material render test

Hi, here is a Node Material render test of mine. All materials were made with nodes, no bitmap used for texturing except the text on the pedal, screen, icon and the sky HDRI.

Cheers,
Yan

Node_Pedals_Render_COMP-Output_Filter.jpg

Node_Pedals_Render_TopView_COMP-Filter.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Freemorpheme said:

What is the benefit of a node system over the layer system? Can anyone explain it to me like I'm 5?

Wow, um...well...

Okay, say you're using a noise to drive the color and you'd also like to use that noise to drive a bump map. In the current system, you have to change the noise twice if you need to update something. In a node-based system, you only change it in one place. That's one of the biggest things. It makes iterating much, much quicker. (I've had some materials where I had to edit the same noise in 7 different places - I'd much prefer to do it once!)

There are some other benefits, but that's the big one for me.

See this video for a little look at C4D's node editor in action and you should get a hint of the power it provides: 

• Topic Author
  • 21 hours ago, HSrdelic said:

Impressive work. @QuasarJoe please be kind and post a screenshot of nodes network if you can?

Hi HSrdelic, here is one of pedal's material node.

Cheers

Node.jpg

• Like 3

Excellent, thanks for posting this - I am sure people will have better understanding now when they see nuts and bolts of how it is done :)

Two questions:

1) Is that the green body color for the "Compose  Color A" pedal? Seems darker than all the green pedals but I'm guessing there's some type of lighting impact that brightens it up.

2) This scene rendered in R20 Physical Renderer?

6 hours ago, Zmotive said:

Two questions:

1) Is that the green body color for the "Compose  Color A" pedal? Seems darker than all the green pedals but I'm guessing there's some type of lighting impact that brightens it up.

2) This scene rendered in R20 Physical Renderer?

2) Yes, must be, because the physical renderer is exposed to nodes for now, while ProRender does not support nodes yet.

On 8/8/2018 at 1:15 AM, hvanderwegen said:

2) Yes, must be, because the physical renderer is exposed to nodes for now, while ProRender does not support nodes yet.

My thought was possibility that he used a third party renderer, but I'm not sure if that is feasible without the render-devs updating their apps to support R20 nodality (aka noderificality, node-itude,  etc)

The API for the new node-based system has not been made available to third-parties of any kind. However, MAXON people have said that it's something they're working on. So, it looks like, eventually, third-party renderers will be able to make use of this node system instead of Xpresso. Speaking of Xpresso, I can't imagine this new node system isn't coming to Xpresso in a future release too!

On 8/1/2018 at 10:35 PM, Freemorpheme said:

What is the benefit of a node system over the layer system? Can anyone explain it to me like I'm 5?

One of the best things about the node editor is, that you can save your setups as Assets and re-use them, even make an own UI for them, as if they were normal C4D materials. Yes, you could do that stuff with Xpresso and UserData before, too but it was way more hassle than now.
    You can export those assets and re-install them, even with version numbers and update them like plugins.