Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
VECTOR

Hard Surface practice - Sci fi Fuel Cell

Recommended Posts

What's up guys, so it's been about 2 months since i've done any 3d outside of work stuff, so i thought i'd break that little dry spell with a bit of sci fi hard surface modelling, currently a wip, been playing around in cinema for a few hours fleshing out the design for this fuel cell, it's starting to come together now, modelled with sub d, the whole body is a single mesh, the only separate parts are the handle assembly, updates to come, cheers ! V

 

5b634eec41416_rendertestlow.thumb.jpg.314814f3f2bc116948f270dd137daba2.jpg5b634ee8f0488_rendertest3low.thumb.jpg.03448ef799ffbe6edbb92db8d0edd2b6.jpg5b634ee4eee93_rendertest2low.thumb.jpg.b0234982a90f1d071a641bdb47d116e0.jpg5b634f2594491_wire1low.thumb.jpg.5ea677a2e48eca616b7e9cd4d2397f29.jpg5b634f29ec339_wire2low.thumb.jpg.0da827972ca52d05fea6d5212fbc3e02.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking nice, as always.

And a distraction from all that R20 fever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes!  A huge YES from me.  Great shape and proportions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, C4DS said:

    Looking nice, as always.

    And a distraction from all that R20 fever.

    Cheers Dan, yea it's got a bit crazy that thread the past few days

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Topic Author
  • 20 minutes ago, EAlexander said:

    Yes!  A huge YES from me.  Great shape and proportions.

    Ha cheers man glad you approve :D

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    The V is still rolling I see. Looking good!

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Topic Author
  • 2 hours ago, PrivatePolygon said:

    The V is still rolling I see. Looking good!

    Ha yea just about, how you doing man haven't seen you round for a while .

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    25 minutes ago, VECTOR said:

    Ha yea just about, how you doing man haven't seen you round for a while .

    Same here haha.

    Been toying with a scene I'm making for weeks but learning Max and Inventor during work takes away all the energy to get back to private projects in my spare time. Hope I'll get to show something too in not too long. Still checking the Cafe almost everyday though, just lurking in the shadows for now lol.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Topic Author
  • Yea I took a little break from personal work for a while this is the first project for about 2 months, I know what you mean doing 3d all day really kills any motivation to do personal stuff when you get home 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Is it safe to assume that your personal 3D interests tend to favor hard surface sci-fi subjects?  I ask because I still marvel at your TIE fighter. 

     

    I love sci-fi subjects as well because essentially 3D for me is a way to escape back to the early 80's when I used to dream of working with motion control cameras, optical printers, cloud tanks on those genre-defining films of that time (Star Wars, Star Trek, Blade Runner, Close Encounters, etc.....it was a great period in film history).

     

    Really nice work.  Could you post a picture of the mesh with Sub-D's turned off (for those of us who sit at the feet of the masters and need to soak up as much technique as possible)?

     

      Thanks,

    Dave

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Topic Author
  • 19 minutes ago, 3D-Pangel said:

    Is it safe to assume that your personal 3D interests tend to favor hard surface sci-fi subjects?  I ask because I still marvel at your TIE fighter. 

     

    I love sci-fi subjects as well because essentially 3D for me is a way to escape back to the early 80's when I used to dream of working with motion control cameras, optical printers, cloud tanks on those genre-defining films of that time (Star Wars, Star Trek, Blade Runner, Close Encounters, etc.....it was a great period in film history).

     

    Really nice work.  Could you post a picture of the mesh with Sub-D's turned off (for those of us who sit at the feet of the masters and need to soak up as much technique as possible)?

     

      Thanks,

    Dave

    Well i'm actually more of a character guy, but lately i've been dabbling a little more into the Hard Surface side of things , mainly really just to try something different, as i tend to find organic modelling fairly easy in comparison, with this i wanted to see how detailed a model i could make whilst still keeping it relatively lower poly, not that polycount matters as much these days ( the Tie is 11m subdivided! ) i just find a lower poly mesh much nicer to work with , heres a few grabs with subdivision turned off, nothing really special modelling wise all pretty basic stuff.

     

     

    sub off 1.jpg

    sub off 2.jpg

    sub off 3.jpg

    sub off 4.jpg

    sub off 5.jpg

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 1:36 PM, VECTOR said:

    , here is a few grabs with subdivision turned off, nothing really special modelling wise all pretty basic stuff.

     

    Don't sell yourself short....I still learned a few things and aspire to that "nothing special" level.

     

    Dave

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Join the conversation

    You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

    Guest
    Reply to this topic...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

    Sign in to follow this  

    • Recently Browsing   0 members

      No registered users viewing this page.

    Latest Topics

    Latest Comments

    ×
    ×
    • Create New...