Sign in to follow this  
Zmotive

Cinebench Update?

Wondering if Rick or other MAXON guru can comment on whether the new core and rendering technologies will mean an updated Cinebench utility sometime in the relatively near future. If the idea is for the test to mimic how a piece of hardware would perform with the real application, using todays materials and so forth, seems like it would be due for an overhaul?  I realize that it's all relative to the speed of today's GPUs and so you can still guage from a FPS result which GPU is better than the next, but I am curious.

Our focus is currently to get the new Core into all parts of CINEMA 4D. But we won't forget Cinebench. I can tall you that sometime in the future, there will be a new Cinebench. How "near? That is relative! :-)

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • Thanks for the info blutz. I wasn't sure how simple or difficult a task it is to update Cinebench. But yeah, getting all the primary modeling tools and other go-to components core-ified is more important obviously.

Time does not stand still, and those who rest on their laurels are left behind. In the meantime the Blender foundation just introduced their own Cinebench variant, and it includes GPU rendering benchmarks and production-level benchmark data to test your hardware.

Results can be shared online which are presented with nice graphs and all. OpenCL, CUDA, and CPU rendering can be tested, although OpenGL testing is not (which hardly anyone doing benchmarks is interested in). The tool and page are in beta right now.

https://opendata.blender.org/

Devs at MAXON: if you take too long with releasing a new version of Cinebench, before you know it all benchmark testing will no longer include your branded benchmark tests, and instead use this alternative, because it includes CUDA and OpenCL GPU rendering benchmarks.

Similar to the BodyPaint debacle, you will lose that niche. Please take heed. You've already waited too long.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hvanderwegen said:

Similar to the BodyPaint debacle, you will lose that niche. Please take heed. You've already waited too long.

Benchmarks need to be updated when they have to be adjusted to support new hardware. They are about supported hardware features and how efficient they are used, not about features of the software itself. Cinebench has its niche not because it is always including some new software features, but because it is a very reliable benchmark for high core count CPUs. Updating benchmarks often without a technical need only leads to problems since all old testresults are incomparable to the new ones. Cinebench will be updated as needed.

36 minutes ago, srek said:

Benchmarks need to be updated when they have to be adjusted to support new hardware. They are about supported hardware features and how efficient they are used, not about features of the software itself. Cinebench has its niche not because it is always including some new software features, but because it is a very reliable benchmark for high core count CPUs. Updating benchmarks often without a technical need only leads to problems since all old testresults are incomparable to the new ones. Cinebench will be updated as needed.

+1. We don't need new benchmarking software until chipmakers add new features/instruction sets that the software can take advantage of. It has nothing to do with the version of C4D we are on.  

• Topic Author
  • 18 hours ago, Jimh said:

+1. We don't need new benchmarking software until chipmakers add new features/instruction sets that the software can take advantage of. It has nothing to do with the version of C4D we are on.  

While I understand what you're saying about the hardware, the other part of what you're saying doesn't make a lot of sense. Part of what a benchmark does, is provide a means of estimating how a given hardware setup will perform with a certain type of rendering software (in this case the R15 OpenGL viewport engine — or a version of it). Either way, obviously the benchmark doesn't say anything about how a given C4D command or tool performs.

Maybe there is a bad assumption on my part, which is that Cinebench is basically emulating the R15 OpenGL viewport. In other words they create a reference scene with a certain number of polygons, reflective materials and so forth and let it run using the same R15 viewport engine. And the better your OpenGL hardware, the better your frame rate will be. My initial thought was, IF that is the case, and IF the OpenGL viewport in R19+ is substantially different (or is slowly becoming substantially different with each iteration), at some point the engine in Cinebench needs to be updated.

Otherwise you could say that today's scores are still valid relative to yesterday's scores (hardware), but not valid as a measure of how your hardware would perform with today's OpenGL viewport. Right? Or is it the case Cinebench really has no ties to what we use in C4D, other than the name? If that's the case then I retract my concern, but do agree with hvanderwegen's comments above in principle.

Again I don't consider Cinebench to be any kind of big priority. I asked mostly out of curiosity as I've been testing GPUs lately and got to thinking about all this stuff.

3 hours ago, Zmotive said:

While I understand what you're saying about the hardware, the other part of what you're saying doesn't make a lot of sense. Part of what a benchmark does, is provide a means of estimating how a given hardware setup will perform with a certain type of rendering software (in this case the R15 OpenGL viewport engine — or a version of it). Either way, obviously the benchmark doesn't say anything about how a given C4D command or tool performs.

Maybe there is a bad assumption on my part, which is that Cinebench is basically emulating the R15 OpenGL viewport. In other words they create a reference scene with a certain number of polygons, reflective materials and so forth and let it run using the same R15 viewport engine. And the better your OpenGL hardware, the better your frame rate will be. My initial thought was, IF that is the case, and IF the OpenGL viewport in R19+ is substantially different (or is slowly becoming substantially different with each iteration), at some point the engine in Cinebench needs to be updated.

Otherwise you could say that today's scores are still valid relative to yesterday's scores (hardware), but not valid as a measure of how your hardware would perform with today's OpenGL viewport. Right? Or is it the case Cinebench really has no ties to what we use in C4D, other than the name? If that's the case then I retract my concern, but do agree with hvanderwegen's comments above in principle.

Again I don't consider Cinebench to be any kind of big priority. I asked mostly out of curiosity as I've been testing GPUs lately and got to thinking about all this stuff.

The Open GL Benchmark is a lot more dependent on the specific scene setup than the rendering benchmark, this is mostly due to it also being dependent heavily on single core CPU performance.In the end iIt is more of a compatibility test than an optimal measure for performance. You can see this in the way Cinebench is used by websites and magazines, the OGL benchmark is barely used at all, while the rendering benchmark is among the most used.