Tinkertoy

Cover a surface in clones?

Hey folks. Would it be possible to select a face and then have a cloned number of smaller objects applied to it? I've got these little white round windows and I'd like to be able to select a face and then have a bunch of them be applied to the surface in a regular and controllable manner. Doable?

temp.JPG

• Topic Author
  • I figured out dropping my sphere under a mograph cloner object, I then set the mode to object and selected the parent item I wanted but now I see nothing. there's no way to increase or decrease the number of clones :\

Hmm, not quite.  If you cut that polygon into a grid where each polygon was where a window should be, then you could use a Cloner in Object mode and Distribution set to Polygon Center.  You could also just set the Mode to Grid Array and align your clone to the polygon's surface.  Then you could use the Mograph Selection and a Plane effector (set scale to -1) to remove clones you don't want.  See the attached file.

Windows with Mograph v1.c4d

You can clone on polygons from an object.

Just select the polygons you want to clone on, go to Select -> Set Selection.

You now made a selection tag.

Make your cloner, object mode, and use the selection tag as object. 

The thing is, you can not use regular grids and all that fancy stuff if you clone on an object. You can clone in polygon centers, or edges, so you need to cut the window to get the exact spacing you need.

edit: this is like Nate showed you, but for some reason the Mograph selection is not updating realtime when you move the cube around, how weird.

23 hours ago, westbam said:

edit: this is like Nate showed you, but for some reason the Mograph selection is not updating realtime when you move the cube around, how weird.

Weird, I just tried a simple example and they clones follow the selection in all 3 cases (moving the polygon only, moving the whole object and having a keyframe animation for the object).

You could use dummy object (splitted from original object and hide from render/viewport) and cloning objects over surface in vertex/polygon mode...

Could be cutted manually or using Voronoi Fracture as source for distribution (in this case are posibilities of distribution endless...)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5jz09jlbegas04d/clone_over_surface.zip?dl=0