Hey, you need a renderfarm? If that's the case, make sure you check this topic for more info! 

Cinema 4D Plugins

gieroj

Adding shoes to character

gieroj    0

hey everyone,

can someone tell  me what is the best solution for adding shoes to a character and animating it? 

I have a pair of shoes, a mixamo mocap file and an avatar. I'm currently working on his clothes in Marvelous Designer, then i want to export that to C4D. All i'm struggling with is adding shoes. I have a specific pair of shoes, modelled and textured and I'm wandering how to integrate them with animated character with animated clothes on.

Any help is highy appreciated,

F.

maliohammad    309
15 minutes ago, gieroj said:

I have a pair of shoes, a mixamo mocap file and an avatar. I'm currently working on his clothes in Marvelous Designer, then i want to export that to C4D. All i'm struggling with is adding shoes. I have a specific pair of shoes, modelled and textured and I'm wandering how to integrate them with animated character with animated clothes on.

You have to make it part of your rig (adding weights and other things).

Rectro    707

Tip.  Make sure the shoes have the same pivot point as the foot.  Best way is to add a null that matches the PSR of, the foot you can do this a few ways , one is to drag a null into the child of foot, zero out the PSR fields for the XYZ then drag the null out then add the shoe as a child fo the null.  Use a PSR constraint on the shoe targeted to the foot.  The other issues you make get is the foot showing through the shoe.  If you get that issue then come back.

Dan

maliohammad    309
1 hour ago, Rectro said:

Use a PSR constraint on the shoe targeted to the foot

But wouldn't that make the shoes too stiff?

BigAl3D    50
1 minute ago, maliohammad said:

But wouldn't that make the shoes too stiff?

Not if you weight it to the proper foot joints. As long as you have enough joints to represent the toes, the ball and the heel, just add the portions of the shoe that should follow those joints. Just like a real shoe.

Rectro    707

Hi heels or shoes that dont bend like Marvellous Designer use can be added with constraints, but your need to have a mocap that is made for animation with this kind of shoe on otherwise there will be a bend in the foot, a right pain, but you can use deformers with care.  Bend in the foot it has to be weighted, again trying to keep the feet inside can be a pain but you can just hide the feet geometry.  Once I added a pose morph and scaled down the feet so they dont show through boots.

Dan

maliohammad    309
3 hours ago, BigAl3D said:

Not if you weight it to the proper foot joints. As long as you have enough joints to represent the toes, the ball and the heel, just add the portions of the shoe that should follow those joints. Just like a real shoe.

Yeah, but I asked that because he mentioned PSR, not binding it to joints using weights. 

48 minutes ago, Rectro said:

Once I added a pose morph and scaled down the feet so they dont show through boots.

This is interesting. I never thought about using pose morph to hide things like feet under shoes. 

BigAl3D    50

I've had mixed results using PSR where objects slid out of place on occasion. My solution was to make the object a child of the actual joint object. This really only applies to objects that are not bending, like in my case, body armour. 

gieroj    0
  • Topic Author
  • ye.. the shoes should actually bend a little. Looking at the mixamo preview animation, the mocap data has this bending information of the feet included. Thank You@maliohammad, @Rectro, @BigAl3D - i asked this question in advance. Will probably deal with this tomorrow/the day after tomorrow. Will come back here if i'm lost haha! thank You again.

Rectro    707
    4 minutes ago, BigAl3D said:

I've had mixed results using PSR where objects slid out of place on occasion. My solution was to make the object a child of the actual joint object. This really only applies to objects that are not bending, like in my case, body armour. 

Sounds like a priority issue, had the same with mounting objects in a character hand, right pain when there is priority lag, and doing as you mentioned making one object a direct child of another works, bit of a pain however if objects are to be picked up, and put down, or a sword is constrained to a belt, drawn by a hand and used, then returned back again constraints are the only way and them priorities need to be bang on.

Dan

CApruzzese    112

Could you try the surface deformer? I use it for adding accessories to characters but I haven't tried it with shoes. 

gieroj    0
  • Topic Author
  • Hey everyone, i've managed to add the shoes with a PSR contstraint tag. It looks good! Thanks for help.

but if i needed the shoes to bend a little, what can I do?