danradio

Invisible triangle

Hi, I'm having a strange problem. I've modeled a head by cutting up a cube but, even though the viewport shows a flat plane, the render shows some additional triangles. I've gone to the Structure Manager and I don't have a fifth column, so I know there aren't any n-gons.  I've also intentionally removed the phong tag.

How do I get rid of these invisible triangles? 

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2018-08-08 at 1.25.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-08 at 1.26.11 PM.png

It's probably because you have some quads that are so distorted that they aren't flat anymore.  Without any phong, they will look like 2 triangles.  If you throw this in a SubD they should go away.

• Topic Author
  • Ah ok, I'm new to all of this, especially modeling.  I want to keep the face geometric, so I'm not going to subdivide it.

I'm going to have to research this non-planar thing.

Thanks for the help!

I don´t say "no no" :D

It´s just note. When he enable in Attr. Manager/Mode/Modeling/Mesh Checking, those polygons with triangles would be marked as non-planar...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bezo said:

When he enable in Attr. Manager/Mode/Modeling/Mesh Checking, those polygons with triangles would be marked as non-planar...

I'm interested in this

how do I get there?

is this in Studio only or for all versions ?

EDIT:

yeah, found it :Zap:

15 hours ago, danradio said:

Ah ok, I'm new to all of this, especially modeling.  I want to keep the face geometric, so I'm not going to subdivide it.

Oh, then you can simply select the non-planar polygons one-by-one and scale it to zero on the Z axis.  Be sure you are in local mode and hold shift while scaling to snap by 10% increments.  It's possible that this would cause other polys to become non-planar, so it may be a case of fixing all the surrounding polys as well.  Maybe there is a way to do this to all polygons simultaneously?  Can't think of a way...

In the future, if you're modeling with quads for a low-poly look, then you will want to be in Polygon mode when you're editing your mesh.  Or you could just use triangles, which sometimes look better for low-poly stuff (and can't be non-planar).

• Like 1