Jump to content

Hey, you need a renderfarm? If that's the case, make sure you check this topic for more info! 



Sign in to follow this  
Didar

Motorcycle Modelling

Recommended Posts

Didar    1

hello guys, good day. i have these basic modelling problems. as u see in the image i could make the tire, now for side shields what should i do? can i use a simple spline and make a good shape as u see in the image, then extrude and bend?  thats the thing in my mind. if i use this i still need to make polygons for it? anyway its seems pro modellers make this using polygon modelling. about polygon modelling i have lots of troubles. its very hard for me to make edges. apparently we can only finish the edges with triangles. but i get in troubles with them when i use subdivision surface :/

sorry for lots of questions. thanks

image.thumb.png.0fc7f2639116276d8ed6559695a84d1e.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

VECTOR    550
58 minutes ago, Didar said:

hello guys, good day. i have these basic modelling problems. as u see in the image i could make the tire, now for side shields what should i do? can i use a simple spline and make a good shape as u see in the image, then extrude and bend?  thats the thing in my mind. if i use this i still need to make polygons for it? anyway its seems pro modellers make this using polygon modelling. about polygon modelling i have lots of troubles. its very hard for me to make edges. apparently we can only finish the edges with triangles. but i get in troubles with them when i use subdivision surface :/

sorry for lots of questions. thanks

image.thumb.png.0fc7f2639116276d8ed6559695a84d1e.png

Hey man, a vehicle is a rather difficult object to model, the mix of hard surface and organic kind of shapes can be tricky, even to the best of modellers. To start things off, you certainly DO NOT want to to do this with splines, it's not a suitable approach for a model like this, also you definitely DON'T  want triangles either as you've already seen this causes problem when using sub division, you need a nice clean, evenly distributed mesh made up of quads with no triangles or ngons where possible. If it were me modelling this, it would be 100 percent subdivision modelling, i'd box model some of the simpler parts of this, stuff like mirrors, handlebars, grips, parts you can make relatively easily just from modifying primitives like cubes or cylinders/hexahedron  spheres etc, the body panels i'd start with basic low poly planes and make cuts/move points and edges around to get the shape needed, then extrude/give it thickness afterwards and make sure the topology is clean and evenly laid out as possible. 

 

Some of the more complex mechanical parts would be either a mix of poly by poly and box modelling, laying out stuff like holes and cuts first, then building the topology/mesh for the rest of the object around it or just box modelling the basic forms, again with primitives then subdividing that mesh once or twice to get extra geometry then adding holes and cuts etc into after. You've chosen quite an ambitious project here, so i'd expect it to take a fair bit of time, especially if modelling isn't your strongest area, if none of what i said makes any sense you might want to take a look at some modelling tutorials, Arrimus 3D on youtube has some very nice content, he uses max, but the the actual modelling principles he talks about are transferable across to cinema.

 

Edit- also @contrafibbularities has also been adding a lot of nice sds related content lately , you should check that out too, not specific to this topic but modelling principles you can learn from 

  • Namaste 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3DKiwi    394

Ditto what Vector says. If it was me I would find a tutorial even for another 3D app and do your best to follow that. Some of the Blender tutorials are reasonably straight forward to follow along with in other 3D apps.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Didar    1
  • Topic Author
  • 8 minutes ago, VECTOR said:

    Hey man, a vehicle is a rather difficult object to model,

    Thanks alot man for such effort and teaching me. yea i could understand like 70% of what you said. very cool little tutorial. i started cinema 4d like 2 months. so yea lots of works to go. despite all of those things that i will try can u tell me when to use splines? for example we can have a nice curvy part with spline. we dont even need subdivision surface i guess. i guess we might get in trouble with texture right? i think it needs few years to understand which method we can use :))  anyway i will go check on Arrimus  videos. i know fairly Zbrush also. we must use all software together right? can continue some parts of my models in Zbrush?

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    VECTOR    550
    5 minutes ago, Didar said:

    Thanks alot man for such effort and teaching me. yea i could understand like 70% of what you said. very cool little tutorial. i started cinema 4d like 2 months. so yea lots of works to go. despite all of those things that i will try can u tell me when to use splines? for example we can have a nice curvy part with spline. we dont even need subdivision surface i guess. i guess we might get in trouble with texture right? i think it needs few years to understand which method we can use :))  anyway i will go check on Arrimus  videos. i know fairly Zbrush also. we must use all software together right? can continue some parts of my models in Zbrush?

    It really depends on what it is you're trying to model, for example for cables, ropes, splines and sweep nurbs are a quick and effective technique,  if i didn't care about topology, if i had something like the rear panel on a pc, with all the little usb, hdmi, power cable cut outs etc, i could draw that out in illustrator import that into cinema and use an extrude nurbs to give it thickness, wana make a wine glass or beer bottle, spiral staircase, for stuff like that you can use lathe nurbs. there's quite a few things you can use splines/nurbs for, i  use them sometimes to make stuff and clean the topology up afterwards, that being said, if modelling is a goal, then poly modelling and sds, is something you should study religiously, once you're at a good level with that, you'll be able to model in a any software, sure the tools will differ, but the actual process of constructing the mesh will be the same, all the principles you've learned will translate. As for zbrush there seems to have been quite a surge in hardsurface stuff being built in zbrush, you can certainly combine the two together, a good approach would be to model yourself a lower poly version in cinema then import that into zbrush to add all the tiny little details, screws, surface damage, holes etc then bake that out to maps to use on your lower poly version :D 

    • Namaste 1

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Didar    1
  • Topic Author
  • 4 minutes ago, VECTOR said:

    It really depends on what it is you're trying to model, for example for cables, ropes, splines and sweep nurbs are a quick and effective technique,  if i didn't care about topology, if i had something like the rear panel on a pc, with all the little usb, hdmi, power cable cut outs etc, i could draw that out in illustrator import that into cinema and use an extrude nurbs to give it thickness, wana make a wine glass or beer bottle, spiral staircase, for stuff like that you can use lathe nurbs. there's quite a few things you can use splines/nurbs for, i  use them sometimes to make stuff and clean the topology up afterwards, that being said, if modelling is a goal, then poly modelling and sds, is something you should study religiously, once you're at a good level with that, you'll be able to model in a any software, sure the tools will differ, but the actual process of constructing the mesh will be the same, all the principles you've learned will translate. As for zbrush there seems to have been quite a surge in hardsurface stuff being built in zbrush, you can certainly combine the two together, a good approach would be to model yourself a lower poly version in cinema then import that into zbrush to add all the tiny little details, screws, surface damage, holes etc then bake that out to maps to use on your lower poly version :D 

    very cool. thanks man ill try practice those things... ^_^

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    VECTOR    550

    No problem man, i find a good way to practice modelling is to look at things on your desk, pens, tablet, pots, mouse etc, things that aren't too difficult to make, and model those first, once you've modelled all the stuff on your desk, and its of a good level technically then move on to something else a little more challenging, vehicles are really an intermediate level modelling task, really at minimum, not saying that a beginner can't model them, just that the knowledge and techniques needed to be able to model some of the parts seen on those types of objects takes time and practice to learn.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
    Sign in to follow this  

    • Recently Browsing   0 members

      No registered users viewing this page.

    ×