Hey, you need a renderfarm? If that's the case, make sure you check this topic for more info! 

Sign in to follow this  
Simmy

R20, OpenVbd and 3d printing

Simmy    63

What do you guys think of R20 for 3D printing. The volume builder seems to be a built in powerful tinkercad. You can take complex models of multiple parts and easily make it suitable for printing.

I love the idea of this new feature and hope it works as I believe it should.

In general though for other things I think the volume builder may make me a lazy modeller

• Like 1

HSrdelic    2,780

22 hours ago, Simmy said:

I love the idea of this new feature and hope it works as I believe it should.

What is your usual workflow for printing? I am not much into 3d printing but know someone who is really experienced with it :)

maybe @srek can help out here

Simmy    63
  • Topic Author
  • 7 hours ago, HSrdelic said:

What is your usual workflow for printing? I am not much into 3d printing but know someone who is really experienced with it :)

usual workflow is find random cool but pointless object on thingiverse then print it. However, when i am actually trying to be more ambitious i will model in C4D. I will usually do everything in one mesh with continuous flowing topology. 

If I struggle with holes or certain cutouts i sometimes export as an STL then import into tinkercad to add them as I don't want to deal with boole objects in C4D. 

3D printer slicers like Cura do handle overlapping geometry fairly well but I hope now when I have a character rigged in C4D i can pose add all the parts in a builder and export for printing with little effort.

srek    15
    7 hours ago, HSrdelic said:

I'm doing 90% of my modeling for 3D printing via OpenVDB since it became a viable tool during Betaphase. Currently i use OpenVDB to create the chassis and wheels for an all wheel drone vehicle. It was never easier to change the design of the wheels since i can stay 100% parametric right until i export to STL.

The workflow is super simple, just use any kind of geometry producing object in CInema 4D to create the shape you need as an SDF volume, then mesh it to the needed precision and export.

All plastic and silicone parts in the attached image have been modeled using Open VDB to 0.1 mm precision.

DSCN3532.JPG

• Like 1

sfshook    1

Srek,

What 3D printer are you using?

Have a great weekend,

Steve

srek    15
    3 minutes ago, sfshook said:

Srek,

What 3D printer are you using?

Have a great weekend,

Steve

I build my own, you can find a bit of info on them on my website and Youtube channel. The parts shown were all printed on my DuoCube.

You can see the mold for the silcone tires being printed here

The printer is designed in CInema 4D as well ;)

HSrdelic    2,780
    1 hour ago, srek said:

The printer is designed in Cinema 4D as well ;)

:lol:

Simmy    63
  • Topic Author
  • This is all great. Thanks Srek.

I already have my MSA so would be trying it anyway but its unexpected but welcome that is feature is perfect to what I am currently doing in 3D