Hi,

I have a zebra mane that I would like to alternate between black and white stripes. When I try to apply a gradient to the hair's color channel, I can't get the gradient knots close enough to even show more than one color---I have two different color knots on top of each other. It seems like the scale of gradient is huge but my target is super small. I've run into this with other applications of the gradient too. Any ideas on how to get the gradient to reflect the correct scale that I am working with? Or any ideas on how to colorize the hair in this way short of having a separate hair object for each stripe. Thank you!

If your strips are the same all over object, only what you need is set just one gradient manually. For doubling knots simply right click in gradient field and select Double knots. It could done x-times, so it´s doesn´t matter if markers/knot will overlay each other like...

If gradient is to much "hard", use Distribute knots from right click...

• Topic Author
  • Sorry I wasn't very clear. I can apply a rainbow gradient (in 2D UV) to the color channel of the hair and only one color shows up. Say for instance only red shows up on the hair; it doesn't matter if I put another colored knot right next to the red knot, no other color will show up. It's as if the scale of the gradient is huge and my hair object represents only a thin, thin sliver on the slider and there is no way to distribute colors because of that.

Maybe you have the gradient in the wrong axis?  Is it using UV mapping?  It's really hard to diagnose without your file.  My guess is it's a texture Projection issue.

Is this what your after?  Maybe your not using enough knots to hold the colour tight enough?  This however will produce the tripes on the horizontal where as a Zebra has its stripes on the vertical in which you use a texture map in the root slot.  The texture must be for a UV mapped object in which if you paint on the object where you wish the stripes to be this will show on the model however the texture map is not animatable to switch the maps.  Other solution is to create several hair objects with different colours this way no maps or gradients are needed as each hair object will have its own hair material.

zebra stripes.c4d

zebra.png

zebrea setup.png

zebra multi.png