Sign in to follow this  
lieber

Nodes == Fabric Engine?

I am watching some version 20 videos about node materials and have a feeling that I am looking at Fabric engine. Am I the only one who hasthis feeling? Did MAXON secretly buy the tech? afaik Fabric has vanished from market.

New Node based system is completely new development, 100% done by MAXON and in terms of technical capabilities (not the context) is superior to Fabric.  There are similarities but that is simply the case with all node systems. I presume Fabric, or at least part of it, was or will be used in company that hired the team or part of the team. Of course that is only pure speculation from my part

https://www.awn.com/news/mpc-adds-paul-doyle-global-head-rd

Fabric engine is much more like ICE from XSI (now bifrost in maya) or a programming language than just a material system.

On 21.08.2018 at 10:51 PM, lieber said:

I am watching some version 20 videos about node materials and have a feeling that I am looking at Fabric engine. Am I the only one who hasthis feeling? Did MAXON secretly buy the tech? afaik Fabric has vanished from market.

I, too, find some external resemblance to ICE as in XSI.
If you look closely, this is not just a material system.
There are nodes of mathematics and some other things that say that it will be much more than just materials. Probably Xpresso in the next version should be replaced.
It would be ideal if there is an opportunity to work in the same editor with materials, object topology, particles and character animation where there will be no problems with priority.