Pucette

Animating pliers with XPressions

I animated a pair of pliers. As you can see on the video, there are 3 parts to the pliers, and each part is animated independently. Each section is made of pieces also animated independently. Is it possible to control the whole animation with one control? 

Animated pliers.mp4

This sort of model is often done with cloners, where the strut angle is the cloner transform angle. In your case, due to the claw things, it's probably easier to have separate parts.

Here's one of my current projects using cloners. It's done in Python, but will give you an idea of the cloner method.

scissor_lift2.c4d

If you pull the truck, the wheels turn ;-) .

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • Jed,

Thanks for the help. I would really like to understand how this was done in Xpresso. Xpresso is such a mystery to me. 

Screen Shot 2018-08-26 at 11.15.10 AM.png

I made a video explaining the pliers XPresso - it's a bit stop-start because Camtasia kept crashing.

just noticed you're in Montreal - hope you can understand my Manchester accent :-)

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • Thank you so much Jed. You're a genius! Or you're a hot deal mathematician. I never knew what sin, tan and cos were for when I was a kid at school, but now I understand! How you came up with the idea of using this to animate the pliers is beyond me. It seems very logical when you do it but to come up with the idea is another thing. Bravo mon ami. I'd like to learn more about Xpresso but I don't know where to start. How did you learn it? By the way, you're tutorial is easy to understand, so his your superb Manchester accent. Never been to England, can you believe that. I need to go. 

You're too kind :-). I just picked up XPresso from reading answers at the Cafe, watching YouTube videos etc.

BTW - Cerbera (cafe admin) says my accent sounds like Lemmy from Motorhead.

Jed, thank you for sharing your knowledge in an easy and fun way.  If I could go back to the past I would fire all my math teachers, attending their classes was a nightmare. In high school 60% of my math class failed. The teacher said we had no talent, should quit studying and learn a trade instead.

@jaimem Re : education - I supposedly did physics and maths at uni. Thing is - it was the 60's ... so quantum mechanics took a back seat in favor of sex and drugs and rock 'n' roll.

• Like 1