• “Great art picks up where nature ends.”  Marc Chagall 

Sign in to follow this  
ericperley

Xpresso / Mograph Help

Hello and thanks for taking a look!

I have a conveyor system that I've rigged with Xpresso. Essentially, labelled containers go along a conveyor path and are rotated by rubber belts so that all labels face forward.

I use a random effector with a short falloff to randomize the rotation of the containers before they enter the rubber belts, and to correct them (to face forward) once they do enter.

What I'd like to do (as I'm trying to automate this entire thing) is to use the same falloff range (affecting the container clones) to rotate the rubber belts as well. I imagine that the falloff would read the index of each approaching clone, calculate the angle change in rotation (for example, index 45: 40-degrees to 0-degrees; index 46: 27-degrees to 0-degrees; etc.) and then map that value to drive the rotation of the belt. 

But I don't know how to do this! Any help / insight / tips would be greatly appreciated. I'd love to wrap my head around this.

I've attached a screenshot of the assembly. The clones are traveling towards the bottom left and the rotation is being corrected inside the linear falloff. The black / white tiled belt is what I'd like to drive. 

Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 4.54.03 PM.jpg

Can you post a simplified version of the scene? There could be easier ways to approach this

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe

• Topic Author
  • Hey Hrvoje,

Thanks for taking a look! I've attached a simplified assembly and stripped out the un-related Xpresso.

Cheers!

Eric

assembly_simple.c4d

Ah, I see :)

To get data from clones you need to use MoGraph data node. Then, by changing index value you access specific clone. Here is a quick example

Assembly_0003.c4d

Now, what you want to do and expand on this setup is to calculate the difference between initial clone rotation and end rotation, and use that value for you range which will drive offset in cloner during one interval (you have to accumulate this value, python node can do it easily). As a result, with each interval, offset will be added whcih corresponds in "amount" of rotation. Hope this helps

Cheers

Free C4D trainings from MAXON professional on our youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c4dcafe

In this file I used a copy of the initial random effector to reverse the random can rotation, dynamics proximity to get the clone index, and a bit of python ...

cans rotate.c4d

it's as close as I could get - some ideas for you anyway

• Topic Author
  • Wow! Really amazing help. Thank you both so much! I think I've wrapped my head around it -- and am totally surprised by the dynamics proximity workaround. I've really got to delve into the power of python. 

I wish I could buy you both a beer! Thanks again.