I am in the process of redisigning my avatar.

On the left is the old one, on the right the new one.

I wanted to go for a more cartoony look this time.

What do you think?

compare.jpg

• Topic Author
  • Progress... the grey body is still a placeholder. He's going to wear a shirt, pants and a jacket. I'll do that in marvelous designer.

FullBody01_0000.jpg

I don't no man but he looks a bit ghastly like he did something to his "beloved" mother-in-law

just saying ...

try a more happy face

something like this

::):

Hey man looking good so far although if you're going for a more cartoony look and are intent on having the head that large I'd make the body shorter with more stubby short legs, I'd have the feet somewhere roughly where the knees are now, as at the moment you have a relatively realisticly proportioned body and a massive head, and it looks a bit off to me but that's just my 2 cents :) 

Right now it looks like a really sick malnutritioned baby.

If you type "cartoony" into Google you can see some more cartoony proportions to help him look better.

not really that much difference and still a bit too realistic if you strive for cartoony... other than his head being bigger in relation nothing essential has changed. try really messing with the proportions, i'd suggest making the torso much longer and legs much shorter and thinner. also i'd make the arms thinner. btw, is that a self-portrait? if so, look at the mirror and try to find characteristics of your body that you could exaggerate.

17 hours ago, Carstenm said:

I've quickly kit-bashed something - is this any better?

Bildschirmfoto 2018-08-30 um 09.39.43.png

It's a little better.  So far as the head goes I think it's the realistic hair that is making it look too real for me.  Maybe polygon model the hair including the eye brows.  As everfresh said larger torso and shorter legs could help too.  Change length of arms and size of feet to match.  Doing some sketches until it looks right first could help get everything going the right direction.