Sign in to follow this  
Bolos

Looking for pricing advice

1 hour ago, Bolos said:

Note that I took 10 min trying to improve the topology and think this was worth it. Would this considered professional or do you still see room for improvement ?

Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 15.12.28.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 15.13.07.png

what you had before was neater, you could certainly lose some of the edges there, and neaten up that 4th prong on the end where all those extra edges that go to poles

• Topic Author
  • Thanks Vector, this really helps to get a better picture of the environment. I was somehow thinking that 3D design could be less oversaturated than 2D, but I was obviously wrong. I'll see how this current job goes but I doubt I'll go freelance after that, I wouldn't want to lose all the free time I currently have just to make ends meet and perpetuate the current state of the market.

Thanks also for the critique on the topology, I guess it's still a long road to go before making just enough polygons a modeling job needs.

Don't let it discourage you, you just have to keep practicing, more practice faster you'll get :D , poly count doesn't necessarily matter persay, c4d can handle pretty heavy scenes, my tie interceptor is 11 million polys lol, there's no real golden number, i just try to model it with enough geo needed to hold the shapes i need to create, even working with subdivision, it can be low poly, or it can be high poly, even medium poly, just because it's sub d doesn't always mean it's gonna be less geo, so don't stress too much about that, just try to construct your model efficiently, topology is an art in it's self, it's always different and pretty much like solving a puzzle every time  

I'll just say 2 things. First the negative. 2 days for that model of a fork is incredibly slow overall. I would expect to have that mode you have there completed within an hour or two. It looks to be a fairly straightforward box/sds modelling task.

But now the positive. Lots of companies have no idea how long this work takes or what to pay for it ;-) If you can find someone to pay you £200 per item, go for it.

As for £500 a day. You're not generally going to find many jobs paying that high for this sort of work. Unfortunately its all too easy to ship off the task to another country and get the models knocked out for a fraction of the price. I could go online right now and get all main 3 cutler items modelled up for £50 and delivered before the end of the day. £500 a day modelling jobs are high end for difficult bespoke objects.

Matthew O'Neill - 3D Fluff - www.3dfluff.com

• Topic Author
  • Thanks imashination, now that it's made and that I know a good way to make it I think I could redo it an couple hours, but the helix thing was really tricky. At least to me. I tried a lot of techniques before finding a nice one. The most problematic thing was to make a smooth transition while rotating between a semi-circle on the shaft to a rectangular profile on the prong. This said, I think I could have been way smarter by not playing with C4D's helix tool and just thinking with polygons.

Could you really get it made correctly for £50 the three models ? That's insane. I guess I've been lucky that she said OK for 200€ each model.

Also as it's a job for luxury, I thought I could charge more.

Thank you again Vector for the uplifting message!

I'll just try to keep on practicing and enjoy the pleasure of modeling without letting the flaws I need to improve get too much in the way of it.

On 8/29/2018 at 5:26 PM, Bolos said:

Yeah I guess you're totally right. As I live with around 1000€/month, I was thinking 600€ more for 3 days was already cool as I don't have to worry about taxes.

Don't have to worry about Taxes?!? How does that work then?  Not paying them could  certainly bite you in the later... 

• Topic Author
  • It was supposed to be a "one shot", as I wasn't feeling like going freelance. So I was thinking to make it under the table and not going through the legal hassle. In the end, it was the best option since she didn't gave news and the work hasn't been made.