Sign in to follow this  
Bolos

Complex 3D morphings

Hey there,

one thing has caught my mind these last few months, and it’s not fading away : morphing.

I don’t know if you guys have some great examples of 3D complex morphings, but I don’t even have one on my mind. I’m talking about stunning work. Like theses videos respectively by Buck and Mrzyk & Moriceau :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-R19oA1m8w

I know theses videos are hand-drawn 2D but i’m wondering if it is possible to make 3D morphings in a similar fashion ?

Is know there's the pose morph in C4D but would it would work on such a scale ?

As far I've played with it, it only works with models of the same poly amount and is more suitable for small variations. I guess I could try by breaking more complex objects in multiple parts and then use multiple pose morphs, but I'm not sure if it would really work.

Thanks.

There doesn't seem to be any morphing in the video :)

It is all objects being gradually replaced by others and some camera work. Sure, you can do that but morph would not be essential for it, just a helper part. Try to isolate the effects you want to reproduce and then make crude versions first. After that refine. For this particular example, MoGraph + OpenVDB would be best way to approach it.

Cheers

• Topic Author
  • Huh yeah there's not much more morphing in the first video, but still the ring morph into a ball (or a cherry I guess). Not an impressive one though, guess I was tired lol.

But did you had a look at the second one (YouTube link) ? from 2'20" it's just a sequence of morphings.

Anyway, thanks for the MoGraph + Open VDB suggestion.

morphs like these are usually just mostly tricks to the eye... and if there is an actual morph going on a lot of times it's just animated frame by frame. i've done a couple of smooth transition morph animations with a mixture of 3D and 2D techniques. the way i go about it is to animate the elements or proxies of the elements in 3D and then refine those in after effects with frame by frame animation.

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • Thanks for your answer! Nice vids. Could you elaborate a little more on your workflow ? I don't even understand the meaning of proxies lol. Could you make some shading like the one on Buck's video with your technique ?

I just recently got my hands on Toon Boom Harmony because I couldn't figure out a nice way to create shading in After Effects.

I think I could go a long way with Harmony but the process is slow and the UI + various things feels like we're circa 2000, so I'm kind of missing C4D or Adobe's apps (on the upside the node system is really great).

I also guess the process could be even slower in C4D but if that would be helping to have even better looking results, why not.

Thanks again.

proxies are placeholders, like models that just roughly have the shape the final object should have. they are there to establish the motion and animate the camera in c4D and will be replaced in post with paint-overs. 

usually for this sort of animations my characters are 3D and most of the rest is 2D, here and there some 3D proxy elements as a guide to paint over to create those melting effects.

and yes, you could also make those animations with shading, it just means (a lot) more work. 

i'm very much looking forward to r20 with fields and volumes at this point for this sort of stuff, since we will be able to do a lot more in this regard with those new tools.

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • Thanks everfresh! Really interesting. And you make your drawings directly in After Effects ? With shape layers ?

yes, directly in after effects. i usually go for solids with masks. a lot of people use photoshop, especially if there's shading involved since it's a bit more convenient to draw in photoshop. but for simple shapes like i mostly use after effects is the more efficient choice i think. this video and breakdown might also be of interest for you:

• Topic Author
  • Oh yeah, thanks ! That's some craftsmanship here. I tried making some hand-drawn animation in Photoshop last year, but as I don't have a steady hand the results were jittery.

This reminds me of some lightnings I made just a few days ago to get me started on Harmony :

https://imgur.com/sQTnfBe

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bolos said:

Oh yeah, thanks ! That's some craftsmanship here. I tried making some hand-drawn animation in Photoshop last year (here), but as I don't have a steady hand the results were jittery.

This reminds me of some lightnings I made just a few days ago to get me started on Harmony :

https://imgur.com/sQTnfBe

that's actually great stuff! a little jitter is part of the hand drawn look, in fact i tend to add fake jitter to my 3D stuff to get a more hand drawn feel.