Andromeda

How to make this stock?

I've gotten this far and I can't figure out how to make this damn stock, all my attempts result in disproportioned tubes, all help is appreciated and no this wasn't my reference image.  

image.png

image.png

Since  whole model it is relative simple for modeling, you could pay attention to details, try to be accurate as posible in details.  

When you look on your model, you could improve a lot of things on it. Thickness of some parts, beveling edges upper body etc, knob for loading etc...

• Topic Author
  • On 9/3/2018 at 4:48 PM, bezo said:

Since  whole model it is relative simple for modeling, you could pay attention to details, try to be accurate as posible in details.  

When you look on your model, you could improve a lot of things on it. Thickness of some parts, beveling edges upper body etc, knob for loading etc...

I'm struggling a lot with making finner details, I must admit - here are my other models: https://sketchfab.com/Andromeda4482 I've been struggling to find ways to progress further than this to be honest. 

• Topic Author
  • On 9/3/2018 at 3:10 PM, StCanas said:

It will be a simple Spline and Sweep, something like this...

Sweep.c4d

Thank you very much, this helped a ton! 

7 hours ago, Andromeda said:

I'm struggling a lot with making finner details, I must admit - here are my other models: https://sketchfab.com/Andromeda4482 I've been struggling to find ways to progress further than this to be honest. 

You've done pretty good so far. Just need to take it up a notch. I spend as much time as I can finding as many high res reference images as I can find as my starting point. You can never have too much reference. Also, as this is a pretty commonly modelled item, search out other people's efforts and study their wireframes to see how they've solved the various modelling challenges. And when you think you've finished, you probably haven't. There's probably another layer of detail just waiting to happen.

• Topic Author
  • I need to learn how I can optimise my models as 300k poly's isn't ideal... I will gladly submit the C4D file for constructive criticism :) - I'm also not convinced that my use of subdevision surfaces and boolean objects is correct, I'm still very bad at Cinema4D To say the least when it comes to modelling.