Sign in to follow this  
Zmotive

R20: Install / Setup Questions Thread

So a couple odd behaviors I don't recall seeing before. Normally when I receive a download link for a new installer, I run that, use the temporary serial number, register with MAXON and wait for the new permanent serial. When I get that I "Personalize" the app and the "Unregistered License" thing goes away thereafter. However after following this with R20, it goes away but then on each successive launch it comes back. Also I cannot seem to permanently allow C4D to access Network Connections, it asks every time I launch. Do you guys also "re-register" after receiving your permanent password? Shouldn't be necessary but maybe I'm missing something.

Another strange thing is I had R19 going fine including registered and not constantly relaunching as unregistered and asking for network permissions, and weirdly the only difference: the installer did not put it in the main macOS Applications folder but the user Applications folder. I've never see a MAXON installer put the app in the user applications folder.

Has anything changed WRT the default recommended install location from MAXON or registration process? Any reason to think R19 install and R20 are conflicting / maybe sharing preferences or something? Doesn't look like it to me / everything seems to be in its place.

• Topic Author
  • Permission fix didn't do anything so decided to delete all things MAXON and start over again. I think I figured out the R19 part. The installer must've defaulted to "This User" instead of "All Users" or I accidentally hit an arrow key or something that caused that to switch. Hopefully the clean re-install (with permanent serial to start) will help.

[Welp batting .500 on this day. That solved the unregistered message but not the Allow / Deny network access thing. Checked the Firewall settings C4D is in there with the green light. Not sure what else would cause that to persist from session to session but minor annoyance I guess.]

I had that with R19 and still have an issue where, when I start C4D, it is fine, close it and I get an error, restart and C4D wants to send in an error report.  I did nothing other than start and close C4D

I'm having the same "Unregistered License" after each reboot.  Hope there's another way to fix it without reinstalling.  I have everything set up the way I like and I'm lazy.

2 hours ago, jsconnelly said:

I'm having the same "Unregistered License" after each reboot.  Hope there's another way to fix it without reinstalling.  I have everything set up the way I like and I'm lazy.

Did you contact MAXON support with this issue?

I got this message from MAXON:

In MAC Sierra or High Sierra there is a bug where the temporary serial numbers cannot be overridden with the permanent.

To get around this you must go to this file path(which is a hidden folder):

/Users/**USERNAME**/Library/Preferences/

If you do not know how to unhide folders please go to the finder menu and hit GO > Go To Folder and paste that path in the folder search bar. Please make sure to replace **USERNAME** with your actual computer's username.

Before the next step, it is very important to make sure Cinema 4D is shut down.

Next, you will delete all your 20mca and 20mcn files. This is where your serial numbers are stored.

Finally, launch C4D. You will be prompted to enter your serial number again. This time use your permanent registered serial number.

We do apologize for the inconvenience. Our dev team is aware of the issue and working on a fix.

I hope this helps someone.