Sign in to follow this  
HSrdelic

Introduction to R20 Nodes

btw, documentation is currently updated. If has somebody disabled "Automatically Check for Updates" option in Preferences, simply "Check for Updates..." from Help menu.

(very expected full description of all available material nodes)

• Like 1

Hi everyone

I've been testing the new R20 node system, and so far i have mixed feelings about this. I jnow it's just the Demo installation but i find this system very buggy and i sometimes it erases all my node tree for no reason at all.

Anyway, i have a big question about this system. Is it possible to create instance nodes of shadders or values (example: a checker node), that we can use in different node materials at the same time and we only need to update one and the rest automatically updates itself? Like arnold instance nodes for example. 

Do we have to use xpresso for that or this system is cleaver enough? 

I've try to search for that information but there isn't much about it , and If we cant share or instance shadders across multiple node based materials then this system is not that good.

thanks 

cheers

Batista

re: instance nodes: you can make assets which you can use not only across the your file, but across multiple files. 

which means you can also update them across your entire project, which is handy dandy :)

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • 4 hours ago, jbatista said:

I've been testing the new R20 node system, and so far i have mixed feelings about this. I jnow it's just the Demo installation but i find this system very buggy and i sometimes it erases all my node tree for no reason at all.

Which OS and machine you have? Can you reproduce from scratch? Also, can you please be more specific on what is "buggy"? - thanks :)

• Like 1

Hi

Most of the bugs i find are related to material preview. Sometimes the update is super slow and sometimes it doesn't update at all. I mean, i have to break the connection of the shader in order to the preview to work.

The other bug was actually a weird situation but i found the solution. when i open the node editor, the window is usually locked by default and sometimes i forced it to open other materials and because it's locked  it refuses to do it. I looks that the system is jamming but actually only the lock.

Some other minor bugs i found out myself that was just me and my lack of knowledge about this system. I found how to do it well later.

by the way @Vozzz, i found out what are the material assets and how to do/edit them. Thanks for the tip. This is stuff that's not easy to find and it's  super awesome.

thanks

Batista