Alan Kay

Stuck at finishing an animated character

6 minutes ago, Rectro said:

Right so things where as I thought after doing more checks.  You have to make the Advanced Biped  editable, this strips some of it away, then the animation needs to be baked into the joints including external constraints. then as I said before because it uses 3 rigs you also need to delete the joints that acted as IK/FK blending, however the plugin is said to simplify that process.    It would seem the CV smart export plugin takes care of all of these things.

Dan

You mean that free plugin might be usable to transfer character rigs also?

So i  have to find a way to avoid the engine crashes or wait till they update the plugin for 4.20

10 minutes ago, Alan Kay said:

Thank you very much for digging into this. I´ve been watching a lot of those videos too, where they rig and animate that farmer character. When it comes to exporting to Unity they use a plugin though. That one is available only to paying premium members.

If you can share what you have done here or privatly even with out the mesh I can take a look and see if I can bake it down without the plugin, then if its not too much fuss I will show you how to do it.  From memory off the top of my head its the case of making the character editable, export the fbx, bring the fbx back into c4d and remove the two other rigs and controllers no longer needed.

Dan

10 hours ago, Rectro said:

Right so things where as I thought after doing more checks.  You have to make the Advanced Biped  editable, this strips some of it away, then the animation needs to be baked into the joints including external constraints. then as I said before because it uses 3 rigs you also need to delete the joints that acted as IK/FK blending, however the plugin is said to simplify that process.    It would seem the CV smart export plugin takes care of all of these things.

Dan

Dan you are the best!!

Following your steps made me sucessfully import this to UE.

Make character object editable > export as FBX > reimport to C4D > manually delete all the controllers/bones not responsible for movement > no more "multiple roots" error in UE4

Importing a baked animation works as well on my character!

Very happy right now =D

Can anybody still tell me how to bake the textures into the model without loosing the weights? Textures won´t get exported correctly

Cheers

Al

2 hours ago, Alan Kay said:

Dan you are the best!!

Following your steps made me sucessfully import this to UE.

Make character object editable > export as FBX > reimport to C4D > manually delete all the controllers/bones not responsible for movement > no more "multiple roots" error in UE4

Importing a baked animation works as well on my character!

Very happy right now =D

Can anybody still tell me how to bake the textures into the model without loosing the weights? Textures won´t get exported correctly

Cheers

Al

Hi

Baking textures will not effect weighting so no worries there, but of course your need good clean UVs on your model.  This video should help.

This thread can be tagged as solved

Thanks a ton for the fantastic help

Time for me to deal with that Unreal beast now =)

• Like 1

I don't know what's happening, but the character object has a single hierarchy bind hierarchy. you can either make the character object editable or switch to the full display. Then you will find the long hierarchy of joints under the object called. Bind_null.  Select all of those joints and bake the animation down to them.

Once baked you can pretty much delete everything except that hierarchy, and export to unity or whatever.