Hi all. After a month of pulling my hair out I am trying to decide whether to send back the GPU I bought. A 1060 gtx which was unboxed but apparently new. 

Ive had a Difficult time trying to make it work with windows let alone c4d. In short open GL wasn't working so I reinstalled nvidia drivers and then the problems started. I had to completely reinstall windows twice and currently it is partially working.

enhanced OpenGL partially works in c4d with no transparency, dof or antialiasing. hardware render is not available in render settings - not sure if pro render works.

cinebench 15 score is 66fps which seems slightly low.

should I be expecting more from a 'new'gtx 1060?

I am not a hardware guru, but something is not right. I have 970m and no problems at all, good card overall for Cinema 4D use, 1060 should be even better, but maybe I am wrong!

| MAXON Quality Assurance | 3D Artist | C4D Cafe Manager | Gamer in Heart/PS4 ID: SIgor420 |:compEnjoy:

I use a 1060 without any problems in my private rig. Sorry, i have no idea what might have gone wrong for you.

What cpu are you using with it? Either you're trying to use a new gpu with some ancient system or one possibility is that the card is a fake. Some people out there take old cards (780, 680 etc) flash them with a fake firmware and sell them on.

If you post a clean photo of the back of the gpu card we might be able to identify it.

• What?! 1

Matthew O'Neill - 3D Fluff - www.3dfluff.com

Hi all thanks,

my system is a hp z260 with v2 logic board 64gb ram and 2 x e5-2690 v2 xeons (20 cores)

im totally confused by it - have scoured the internet for pc help and now just asking you lot what we are all using? 

I previously had a low quality NVS 300 card which gave better display performance than the 1060 which seems sluggish.

I have no experience of GPUs, I've been focussed on CPU for a couple of years. Can anyone share any comments?

thank you 

IMG_2757.JPG

The PCB code on the board matches an ASUS DUAL-GTX1060-O6G , not the claimed turbo version. As far as i can see the difference is one or two fans.

• Like 1

There should not be any speed difference between the two types, it is a difference in how they are cooled from what i can see. Maybe they even use the same PCB and can't be distinguished by the PCB. Does your card have a single fan or two?
I checked CB on my system, using an i7-4790K@4GHz i get an OGL  CB of 150 and a single core CB of 173. Since the OGL speed depends to a degree on the single core speed you can expect less OGL speed with the same card if you have a seriously lower single core performance. Since your Xeons are 5 years old and only run at 3GHz they will have a single core CB of about 76, which will have a negative impact on the OGL performance.

Still, the difference in performance is a bit much to attribute to the low CPU speed alone, but it might be the main cause.

• Like 1

This always raises a red flag IMHO: "A 1060 gtx which was unboxed but apparently new. "

• Like 1

OpenGL GPU score is heavily dependant of single core cpu speed, and your Xeon 3GHz speed is cause of low OpenGL score. For comparison, my GA GTX 1080 G1 8Gb has OpenGL score of 160+, with CPU single core score of 190+ (multi 1900+). 

• Like 1

The card looks legit, I wouldn't worry about the turbo version or not, it likely uses the same board and just has fan/bios differences, plus the real difference is virtually nothing.

At this point I would suggest running a driver cleaner on your system to make sure theyre starting from scratch. Possibly the 1060 doesn't like the old Quadro drivers lingering around. Run this:

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/

Then run a full official driver release install. Make sure you pick the right windows version

https://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-uk

• Like 1

Matthew O'Neill - 3D Fluff - www.3dfluff.com

6 hours ago, srek said:

There should not be any speed difference between the two types, it is a difference in how they are cooled from what i can see. Maybe they even use the same PCB and can't be distinguished by the PCB. Does your card have a single fan or two?
I checked CB on my system, using an i7-4790K@4GHz i get an OGL  CB of 150 and a single core CB of 173. Since the OGL speed depends to a degree on the single core speed you can expect less OGL speed with the same card if you have a seriously lower single core performance. Since your Xeons are 5 years old and only run at 3GHz they will have a single core CB of about 76, which will have a negative impact on the OGL performance.

Still, the difference in performance is a bit much to attribute to the low CPU speed alone, but it might be the main cause.

Thanks this is helpful. My CB score is 2785 (20 cores) and 128 single core. It's a good render workhorse. 

I dont know whether open GL has any impact on render speed (e.g. Redshift) ??

the main thing is that the basic functions are not working for D.o.f and hardware render is not available and I want to use it to draft animations quickly before jumping into draft/production GI rendering. 

Even if its a little slow the main thing I need is basic functionality.

@imashination thanks - I have done this four times with no progress including twice fully reinstalling windows from dongle (wiping drives)

I have scoured the web for ideas and had wondered if the w10 updates are causing clashes, but it sounds like you are all working ok so it must be something I'm doing wrong. 

Maybe i will just stick with CPU rendering and forget about the GPU thing