Sign in to follow this  
Olga Rudneva

Loop selection - strange behaviour

Hi everyone!

I have following (frustrating...) problem:
when I try to loop select (by double clicking the edge) of a mesh (simple cylinder with a couple loop cuts in it) - it just doesn't work, nothing happens. When I copy-paste this very mesh  into the new file - voila, it works as it supposed to. What exactly could be the problem with the settings/presets of the first file and how do I make it selectable again?

Thank you very much in advance!

Hi Olga,

Hard to say what could happend wrong...Never have this issue (btw, which version of c4d you mean)

Did you tried copy mesh back to first file and select loops?

Did you use P,S,R modes instead of live selection in first file?

I've had good luck with loop select in Houdini and Modo with double clicking, but not in C4D (maybe there is some preference...). In C4D, I select an edge and use U>L. Double clicking DOES work for loop select in C4D when you are in move/transform mode, but NOT in select mode. I use the keystrokes U>L in select mode, rather than double clicking in transform mode, as that works for polygon loop selections (as well as edge loops) and double clicking a polygon in transform mode, selects all polygons.

• Topic Author
  • Hi bezo, hi Isleofgough,thank you for the answers!

I'm running R18 (on Windows 10), used live selection all the time.
    Since I'm the noobest noob I didn't know the shortcut, tried double clicking (also because of Houdini hehe) - and it worked just fine until yesterday evening. 
    I tried copying the mesh into the new file and back - it also doesn't work. What is really strange is that even if I create a new cylinder or any other mesh with loops in the first file - also can't use double clicking. And in the same time in a new file I can do it with all meshes - copied from the first file or just created, in the same mode with the same live selection tool. Feels almost like the file is corrupted in some odd way ><
    But! Isleofgough's tipp about U>L keystrokes works for every file. So i guess I'll keep using it. It's still way faster and handier then going to loop cut button in the menu. Thank you very much for your help!

In C4D, it is easy to inadvertently get changed from the select to move (transform) tool. Both can select points, edges, and polygons. Double clicking edges only works with the transform tool. However, double clicking points or polygons does not select an edge loop.

On 9/12/2018 at 10:15 PM, Olga Rudneva said:

When I copy-paste this very mesh  into the new file - voila, it works as it supposed to.

If a command works when you start a new file and just copy the mesh, it means the settings are changed and saved with the original file.

Loop selection (U -> L) has some settings. My best guess is that you have turned on "select boundary loop" in the original file, which is turned off in a new project. 

As Isleofgough has mentioned twice, it is probably related to the move tool being active in the new scene, while the current scene has live selection tool active. Since double clicking to get loop selected only works with a transform tool (move, rotate, scale) this will only work in the new scene, since it has the move tool activated.

In the current scene switch to the move tool, and it will also work.

One thing to remember is that Cinema 4D is document based. The active tools are "remembered" per document (scene file). So, if you switch between scene files you might end up with different active tools, depending the scene file you switch to. Note that saving a scene file also remembers the active tool -> reopen it and the last used tool will be active.

By default every new scene file has the move tool active. You can customize your "new scene file", but that's a little out of scope for this discussion.

Personally, I don't ever use the double clicking, since that means you need to be in transform mode. Which is just prone to inadvertently moving/rotating/scaling already selected points, edges, polygons ... only to select some.

• Like 1