Hi,

I’m trying to recreate the effect in this animation:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tpqi3lxp5eplvta/topography_typography.mp4?dl=0

E.g. objects filling with animating ‘topographic’ shapes.

I’ve tried several different approaches - using a landscape object with cloned layers & a boolean object (this get’s very slow, very quickly) / spline masks / splines with displaces / cloners set to ‘blend’ between two splines etc - but am struggling to get a similar result which is also easy to work with.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to achieve this? Ideally with a (relatively) procedural set up (maybe using noise to generate the contour splines?).

Any ideas welcome - thanks in advance!

:)

Maybe you could try a 3d noise in a displacer under a plane. Quanize the noise using a colorizer into 5 or 6 steps.  Make sure the plane has enough subdivisions to get a clean result. Then add a material with a 3d linear gradient, quantized with the same number of steps.

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • Thanks for the ideas:

@everfresh - nice to see something that runs in the VP :)

@natevplas - Vectorizer Pro is perfect for this - other than the slow running when it animates. Do you know if there is a way to cache / bake the noise animation?

15 hours ago, timowest said:

Do you know if there is a way to cache / bake the noise animation?

You could try baking out the extruded shapes as alembic.  In R20 it's as simple as right clicking on the object, bake as alembic.  In R19 and previous versions I believe you have go to File>Export>Alembic and it exports your whole scene, so you'd want to make a new scene file and just drop in your extruded shapes.

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • Great - Alembic is definitely something to try when I upgrade (although Vector Pro isn't compatible in R20).

On 9/14/2018 at 1:36 PM, natevplas said:

In R19 and previous versions I believe you have go to File>Export>Alembic and it exports your whole scene, so you'd want to make a new scene file and just drop in your extruded shapes.

You can use alembic in R19, it's just easier to do in R20.